Ain't Nobody Here

Removing water marks on a wooden door?

We had solid wood doors put in recently. One is in the downstairs loo and has a few splash marks on it (from the sink :wink: ).

What's the best way to get rid of them? They are sanded and waxed so can I just sand the marks off and wax it again? Or would just washing the door down be OK?

I also have finger marks under the handle on the bathroom door - would the same method would work?

I don't want to ruin my lovely doors :anxious: .

I have stripped wooden doors in my house which are a medium oak colour. The bathroom door was varnished but over time the soapy splashes stripped away the varnish and it looked awful. Quite by accident, I discovered that a quick wipe over with baby oil brought out the lovely appearance of the wood.

To remove all the wax and sand the door each time water marks appear would be such a chore, and eventually the door would be worn away :!:

You're in a good position here, since you know exactly what finish is already on the door, what caused the stain and how long it's been there, so before you start trying to remove finishes or sand down, you might want to try this.

Place a piece of white material such as a towel or bit of cotton t-shirt or lint free cloth over the stain, then, using your iron, BRIEFLY press the material (just a couple of seconds or so). Take the cloth off and examine the stain, then repeat the process a few times. Each time you should see the stain getting fainter and fainter, and if so you can keep repeating until it's gone. It's only if a few attempts don't make any difference that you need to try something else. Obviously, you really need to take care not to overheat the wood; you're just applying enough heat to draw the moisture back out again.

If the area looks a little dull after you've finished, then reapply wax to the whole door and it'll look consistent again.