counturchickens Posted December 28, 2011 Share Posted December 28, 2011 My hubbie bought me this for Xmas. I'm not sure I enjoyed it that much. There was a whole thing about just feeding the chickens s"Ooops, word censored!"s rather than layers pellets or mash, seemed to work but contrary to all the advice on here. Also, they ended up with a lone hen, hardly any mention that this wasn't a good idea, but eventually they solved the dilemma by eating her as she had slowed down laying! To be fair there were some bits about farmed chicken welfare, but it didn't leave me with a warm glow as I expected. Perhaps I am just too sentimental, but interested to see what others think. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
majuka Posted December 28, 2011 Share Posted December 28, 2011 I'll watch this thread with interest because I had seen that book and wondered if it was any good. Like you, I am very sentimental when it comes to the girls. From what you have said, I'm not sure that I would enjoy it all that much either. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scubababe Posted December 28, 2011 Share Posted December 28, 2011 I will echo Majuka's comments. I have not read it and must admit from your comments I don't think I'm in any hurry either. My girlies are my babies....no way could I eat one...YUK!! Thank you for the heads up on a book to avoid Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
goodinparts Posted December 29, 2011 Share Posted December 29, 2011 I read it a while ago....but was left feeling really guilty about the insistence that in feeding our girls on commercial pellets we are upsetting their green credentials. Also didn't much like the eating bit - but know that there are many many loving caring chicken keepers who breed table birds too so that worried me less overall...I just know I'm not in that category as I'm far too soggy! Happy to send my copy on to anyone who would like to read it...I'm trying REALLY hard not to hang on to books I don't plan to re-read as there really isn't another wall in the vicarage that could take a few bookshelves, and we are a family of book addicts (I think we probably received over 30 more this Christmas - not counting the delights of my new kindle ) DM me, anyone who might like to try it... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
counturchickens Posted December 29, 2011 Author Share Posted December 29, 2011 It just made me feel a bit funny. I understand raising meat for the table as is preferable to farmed chicken, but I couldn't eat a pet. My personal view was it wouldn't help a new or potential chicken keeper much, much more sensible advice on here! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
fluffy chick Posted December 29, 2011 Share Posted December 29, 2011 My friend keeps chickens and pigs and although they are pets and stroked and cuddled by the kids they are all destined for the pot. I have meat off her and it's lovely. If someone else dispatched and butchered one of my girls for me I could eat it but would rather buy meat elsewhere, which makes me a bit wimpy I guess I have dispatched before but only due to illness which was much easier. I said once to my friend I get meat off that I make a point not to kill things that come to me when I call them! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...