Mum

Egg song, but no eggs??

Fatty Hatty, my orpington has thrice song her egg song in the past few days. A few days ago it was twice within an hour. The third was this morning within 5 minutes of getting them up. But, no eggs!

Is she practicing? She has a beautiful voice, just an unproductive one. There was a rather large pooh behind where she was standing, maybe she is confused? I know I am!

Thoughts/ideas/experiences anyone?

Willow (who's just coming into lay for the fist time) and my two ex-batts have been singing their egg songs two or three times a day, often in unison, recently- but I've only had one egg from the three of them all week :roll:

Mildred always sings her egg song after laying, and also does it if something scares her, and Lily is a regular layer but never seems to sing. One of my grower cockerels used to join in with the girls' egg songs (I think he was a little confused :lol:).

'Egg song' is a term which flatters the post egg laying announcements I hear. It is always a welcome sound, re-assuring that all is happening as it should in the hen house, but our girls are low on melody - hardly 'bird song' - more bird shouting.

I do like the description of the chorus -from above : 'Ive Laid an Eaaouggg!!!

They do seem to be announcing thier achievement to the rest of the flock. What do think ?

I think that's exactly what they're doing, we call it the "Hey everybody, I've laid an egg, I've laid an EGG, I'VE LAID AN EEEEGGGGGGG!!" song :lol:

P

Lol!! Certainly seems to be what my girls do too!! :dance: