jackian Posted January 6, 2012 Share Posted January 6, 2012 I have been away for 10 days and just come back after leaving my girls in good hands.. Poppy has always laid her eggs in the nesting box with out fail ,one every day. When we came back my daughter said that there were no eggs from her for 4 days which |I found strange but put it down to storms etc., This morning my second morning back and she came out of the coop as usual very docial and crawled under the coup , On my hands and knees at 7.30 I tried to get her out thinking she was poorly but there was in a neat little group 4 eggs. I took them out and left her there watching what would happen ...She came out all chirpy to start her day and there was another egg Now my question of course is...Why after 8 months should she start doing this Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted January 9, 2012 Share Posted January 9, 2012 Is it possible that she is being bullied out of the nestbox? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted January 9, 2012 Share Posted January 9, 2012 Is she showing signs of being broody? Maybe she is hiding her eggs somewhere hidden, so she can 'hatch' them? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jackian Posted January 9, 2012 Author Share Posted January 9, 2012 Thank you for your replies , I am not worried as she is fine , just curious. She lost her best friend Florry a couple of weeks ago but has been getting on really well with Clover since , they spend all day together FR or in the WIR , there does not seem to be a problem. Certainly no bullying .But she ius not top chick I am happy to let her carry on as it is always the same place. We have 2 new arrivals next week which should be interesting I am glad I am not her I don't think I could be comfortable squashed under the coup while trying to lay an egg Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted January 10, 2012 Share Posted January 10, 2012 The number 1 reason hens stop using a nest box is red mites If you are sure there is no mite then leave a couple of eggs in the nestbox to prompt her Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...