Forestchook

Mr Fox - no casualties

It's taken about sixteen months but Mr fox has finally found my chooks :( . He has been leaving his mark around the garden for a while but there has been no sign around the coops.

Last night I suddenly heard a lot of squawking. Looked out to see a fox bouncing round the coop and runs. Cue me tearing up the garden yelling to scare him off. Cheeky devil ran off a little way and then stopped to look back at me! :evil: He fled when I yelled again. Thankfully there were no casualties just seven rather agitated chookies. I gave them some corn to calm them down and as a reward to the boys who were obviously very keen to protect the ladies. Then I made sure they were all safely shut in for the night.

I don't think Mr Fox would have got to anywhere but I am very glad I was around to scare him off. However I think I'd better be more vigilant when I FR them from now on.

N

Thanks millie. Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope your remaining ones are okay and I hope your DD is feeling better.

I'm now in defensive mode. Thinking of ways to improve my security! My brother came in this morning to annnoint the ground around the runs. What I really want is some way to give Mr Fox a nasty scare so he won't come back (but without injuring him I hasten to add) Fat chance I know. Ahh well. The battle lines are being drawn!

N

Thank goodness you had a lucky escape.

In my experience your fox will come back again and again..they are opportunistic and hungry and much better at watching you than you are at watching them...Like you I couldn't go for "permanent" removal (and in any case there will be another fox along to take it's place ) I have upped our security in our garden since our last fox attack and touch wood I haven't seen a fox in it since....but...I still never FR my ladies unless I am outside with them or glued to the kitchen window watching them..and, as Mum's recent experience has shown, even that isn't fool proof if Mr (or Mrs) fox is hungry or has cubs. If I had the space I would go for electric fencing...but of course even with that you have to remember to switch it on..