majuka

Mycoplasma without runny eyes & nose?

I'm just after some advice about Jemima please. Jemima is an approx 2 1/2 year old ex batt. She has just finished her moult and is eating, drinking and pooping normally. I don't think she has ever laid since we got her a year ago. Over the weekend she seemed to be getting a bit of a sneeze, and she sounded a bit rattly. I took her to the vets yesterday and the vet raised the issue of mycoplasma. She gave Jemima a tylan injection and I have another injection to give her tomorrow. Our normal chicken vet is away but they are a very good practice. I have heard of mycoplasma on here but don't know a great deal about it because we have never had a girl with it before. Jemima had the first injection 24 hours ago, she is perhaps slightly better in herself although I would describe her yesterday as being off colour rather than ill (I'm a bit of a cotton-wool mummy and seem to spend half my life at the vets :oops: ) Everything I have read about mycoplasma though says about mucus bubbles in the eyes and nose and Jemima has very bright clear eyes and no bubbles in her nose. Does myco always present with runny eyes and nose?

Thank you for your reply Daphne, that is interesting. There is definetly no issue with her eyes or nose. I was observing her once I'd made the appointment and even thought to myself how good a colour her comb was and that her eyes look bright and clear. Whatever it is, I really hope the tylan clears it up. We had Izzy pts at the end of November due to peritonitis and Bertie 8 days before Izzy due to a tumour. I can't face anything happening to my little Jem now. :(

A sad update on Jemima :( Yesterday she was still sneezy and a bit rattly but in herself she seemed a lot brighter, she was jumping all over the outside furniture, which she hadn't done for a few days. I gave her the tylan injection and gave her a little bit of pasta. She had a walk around the kitchen, being her usual nosy self. Because it has been so cold we have got them the last couple of nights. My husband keeps his work clothes in the spare room (where the girls go when it is cold). He put his things in there late last night and Jemima and Ella woke up. This morning when we went to put them out, little Jemima had died in her sleep. Her head was tucked under her wing and she looked so peaceful.

I am so shocked, yesterday she really was so much brighter in herself and we thought she would make it. I am so glad that we got them in last night though and we know that she was warm, she was comfortable and she had Ella on one side of her and Esme on the other and she wasn't on her own. Sleep tight my little Jemima Puddleduck.xxx

Thank you Daphne, I am just so shocked still. I woke up yesterday morning thinking we would see a big improvement. I am glad she went as she did, our vets are lovely when we take our girls to be pts and they go in our arms but she was at home, with her young sisters and I hope she just drifted off in her sleep.

Jemima was the last one of four of our 2010 ex batts. I think they had been in a really bad farm. Usually we lose one at about a year and then around 18 months to 2 years. From our 2010 girls we had the other 3 pts due to peritonitis, Cinderella at 4 weeks, Alisha at 6 weeks and Izzy at just under a year. Jemima was the only one to make it to a year. I guess we always knew that she wouldn't make old bones. :(

This is Jemima, taken just days ago on Sunday:

031-1.jpg

Thank you Superkitty. I do take comfort from the fact that she was not alone when she went.

Thank you Daphne. Yes, she was a very brave girl. She showed the youngsters that the snow as nothing to be afraid of - she was a good mentor.

Thank you Egluntyne.