memphisto Posted February 20, 2012 Share Posted February 20, 2012 Well, I'm on the road to chicken keeping once more, allbeit in a more planned and careful manner. I'm currently on the research trail regarding pure breeds and have a question. When I got my hybrids, they came as vaccinated against Mareks, we had a white star who died of suspected Mareks, however we were told she had also been vaccinated with a spray (not sure how accurate this is?). Lottie, the white star, had a horrible end to her life and really I should have had her PTS days before I did, she was paralysed and took the typically described Mareks 'pose', so I am keen not to go through it again. So, I have been looking at getting pure breeds, however, I understand from other sites, many breeders do not vaccinate their pure breeds, preferring a natural resistance method. Am I correct in how I am understanding that? Does that mean they don't get Mareks? Could I get them vaccinated if I was particularly worried about Mareks and would my local vet do this for me or would I have to find a local breeder? I was thinking initially of Marans, which they say are disease resistant?? However I'm still thinking about thinking about Orpingtons though, maybe Orpington Bantams (very possibly gold laced from Cheshire Poultry) and really just wondering what the stance is if I did decided to go for pure breeds instead. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted February 21, 2012 Share Posted February 21, 2012 Many backyard pure breed breeders don't vaccinate; I think this may be an issue of cost/shelf-life (I believe the vaccine comes in quantities to dose 1000 birds or so and doesn't last long once opened) as well as/as much as choice. Unfortunately, it is not possible to vaccinate adult birds, it needs to be done in the first 24 hours of life. Some breeds (off the top of my head silkies and sabelpoots) are known to be more prone to mareks than others, but this is not definitive - for example, I've lost a bought-in young orp bantam to it (but I wouldn't let this put you off them, they are great little birds ) My best advice is actually not to buy growers, this is when birds are at their most vulnerable to the disease, wait until they are older, ideally actually in lay. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted February 21, 2012 Share Posted February 21, 2012 I bought a Splash Maran from Cheshire Poultry and lost her within a month to Mareks disease - paralysis to one leg and had to have her put down. Debilitating disease. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
daxigirl Posted February 21, 2012 Share Posted February 21, 2012 I've just lost my Dinky & B-Boy LF and Bantie Orps to this horrid disease and Pebbles Welsummer in January. I'm utterly bereft. I keep watching all the others to see if I can see it coming on in them. There was that thread a while ago asking what would make you give up chicken keeping and this at the moment would be it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
memphisto Posted February 21, 2012 Author Share Posted February 21, 2012 I'm sorry to hear about both you losing your girls to Marek, I agree, it is a hearbreaking a debilitating disease. It is one of the reasons I am uncertain about chicken keeping again, I almost want assurances that it won't happen again but I know no one can give me that and I wonder if that is actually the reason why I have yet to get any more? I feel torn, on one hand, I'd love a few good egg layer hybrids, but would have to accept that they may/may not be vaccinated and they may/may not get Mareks, one the other, I think maybe pure breeds, Marans (possibly), because they are 'supposed' to be more disease resistant? It's a difficult call, I know I would be devastated if Mareks struck again Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted February 21, 2012 Share Posted February 21, 2012 If you get your hybrids from a reputable source, they will be vaccinated. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Stella14 Posted February 26, 2012 Share Posted February 26, 2012 Durham Hens (they have a website) are a bery good supplier (my birds have come from them) and they vaccinate their purebreeds. As has been said, the smaller breeders don't. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
eve Posted February 26, 2012 Share Posted February 26, 2012 very sorry to here about loss, but you may have been unlucky. last year i brought 3 hybrids one went down hill fast never laid and died sound like it had mareks. the other two were fine until fox came just before xmas. went and got two more hybrids and one has laid since got her. if you want eggs id have hybrids got 2 marran bantams lovely but not good layers Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...