j00lz_12366 Posted February 22, 2012 Share Posted February 22, 2012 A neighbour came round lastnight to say she'd rung the environmental health as they had seen 2 rats in their back garden and she wanted to tell us-we have a wall separating us and thats where they have seen them.. The man came out and put some poison on the wall-the cats dont go up there...I have come home from work this afternoon and seen one of them..and now I am sat in my house absolutely terrified-i'm scared to leave this room-realistically i know they're not in the house but it didnt help when my daughters bf said last night "so..do you reckon they will get through the catflap then?" I rang EH again when I saw the one this afternoon and was not allowed to speak to anyone -the switchboard woman told me the poison will kill them 'soon', thing is, a few years ago when I lived in a different area we had them and it took 3 or 4 visits from EH to clear us and now-probably due to budget cuts they just do the 1 visit and then its up to us to keep an eye out from them... please only tell me positive stuff cos i'm on the edge here..!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lindafw Posted February 22, 2012 Share Posted February 22, 2012 There is a poison they give which takes a while to kill them...the reason is so they take it back to the nest and let the little ones feed on it...or so I was told.....sooooo sit tight and give it a few days Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
j00lz_12366 Posted February 22, 2012 Author Share Posted February 22, 2012 Yes, Ive been to see another neighbour who really knows his stuff-is now retired but used to work on farms as a younger man, he told me it could be 2-3 days...o/h has suggested we get a new litter tray-cats have an outside one-and lock the flap at night for next few days..think that'll help-i swear I am hearing noises all through the house now-they were no doubt there before but now in my mind they are a huge mutant rat gnawing away! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted February 22, 2012 Share Posted February 22, 2012 We have a problem with them here too, & I have a new bait tube thing in the garden 'acclimatising' for a couple of days for them to get used to it,then I have some super strong poison to put in it. The Husband is going away for a week on Sunday - this sort of thing always happens just before his snow boarding trips! I HATE rats Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
j00lz_12366 Posted February 22, 2012 Author Share Posted February 22, 2012 Ohh..if you have the details of that I would be very interested-apparently the environmental health here are going to start charging next month-at the minute they come out free of charge-I cant help but think it will put people off calling them if they have to pay.. I'm v lucky to have a 'Brian'-man down the road, hes offered to help me check my compost bin when they've gone..when I say 'help me'... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...