auntielizzie

The Barns Poultry Centre Moggerhanger

OH took me to the Barns Poultry Centre in Bedfordshire on Sunday afternoon. We met the very knowledgeable Frank (not a big fan of Omlet I fear) who apparently used to run Thornes. Anyway, they had some lovely birds, especially some beautiful Orpingtons, including a fantastic new colour (only three breeders in the country). So sorry, but I cant remember the name of the new colour but they were stunning :oops:

Frank asked me about my girls and when I told him that Bessie, who I brought as POL and who had a huge moult in Oct/Dec, is now not laying, he recommended that I should give them a boost by feeding layers pellets for a while. He says this will bulk up my girls and that following this they should come back in to lay. However, it is only Bessie who isnt laying and had the big moult, whereas Betty (Columbian Blacktail) is laying every day (she is somewhat smaller than Bessie though, who is a Rhode Sussex). He told us that all POL birds should be given growers pellets for the first few weeks as they haven;t finished growing. He also said that Bessie should not have had a moult like that within their first year.

I am sure Frank knows what he is talking about, but I just wondered what the more experienced members of the forum thought about this idea of putting them on growers. Is this likely to stop Betty from laying until they resume layers? Thank you for any advice.

My Pekins and 2 of my Orpington girls are from The Barns :) Frank is a lovely chap with 40 years experience and both his Father and Grandfather before him bred chickens :) He's the one who pointed me towards using mash instead of pellets (to prevent the boredom factor!) and my girls are all on growers. I'm getting plenty of eggs and as far as I'm concerned, being on growers isn't inhibiting their ability to lay :wink: Frank also gave me some fab advice when I brought my Silkies home...they are a speciality of his. Frank is always on the end of the phone and is happy to dispense his sage advice...I love him :D

Thank you Cheeky Chooky and Sparkysmum. Us newbies just need a bit of reassurance sometimes :anxious: Ive had the girls for just about a year now and although everything has gone pretty well on the whole, I just lack a little confidence with new things :oops: I shall go and get some growers pellets at the weekend and see how that goes.

Is there such a thing as growers mash? although Im not quite sure whether switching to mash would be a good idea (don't they have a tendency to pick out the best bits? and leave the grit?).

I've got a terrible case of morehens now - suddenly desperate for some orpingtons :roll::lol: