midgie

Advice on pens for ducklings please

Hi,

apologies if this has been asked before, but I was looking for some advice on pens to keep ducklings safe.

We have two ducks that have gone broody. One has been happily sitting for a few weeks on her clutch and I want to build a rat-proof pen for her and any ducklings that should be due fairly soon.

My plan was to build a rat-proof cage that completely encloses the shelter she's in (which is about 3 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet high - an old wall-cabinet I weather-proofed) and that could be dismantled later in the year, but I'd like advice on how big it should be to allow space for running around in, putting in a basin of water etc?

What could complicate things is the other duck which has decided to find a hedge somewhere. She's still building up her clutch of eggs and is only sitting part of day, so once I find where she goes, is there a good way to move her and eggs into another shelter/pen. Also, should that pen be separate from the other duck's or can both ducks and their ducklings share a pen and water?

Many thanks,

Kev