wee_deec

First Experience of Bees

Hey,

I got my first up-close and personal experience of bees yesterday. I visited an another beekeepers apairy and it was a great experience. I thought I would have been scared - not at all.

It was pretty cool watching one or 2 of the bees crawling over my hand - seeing them really close with their back legs full of pollen!

I get my own bees in about a month now - cannot wait!

:D

1st It's a wonderful hobby.

2nd you need two hives :D

It's easy to not do the best by your bees so make sure you have at least done a beginners course, get some reading done (Ted Hooper is the bible) and find a mentor if you can.

I have a wonderful friend,an experienced keeper, who helped me in my first year when I got overwhelmed

Check out http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk Full of information. Most people are quite friendly though there are one or two scary and rude members. I join in the discussions there daily and it has been wonderfully informative.

I hope you have deep pockets :lol:

Hi OSH

Thanks for the advice!

Why 2 hives? The plan is to get a split after the first year...

I went on a 6 week course with a social enterprise organisation and got to build my own hive - was quite fun!

For the next 2 years, I have a mentor who will come out and visit monthly and will be the end of the phone - which is a relief.

Deep pockets? why? I was hoping not to spend too much... I get the hive and bees free for 2 years in exchange for half the honey the bees produce (and during the 2 years, I can save up to buy the hive and bees)!

I am tyring to join one of my local associations for info and support and will be signing up for SBA membership - mainly for the insurance!

I am really excited and just want to get started... Already got the Ted Hooper book, read it cover to cover (more than once)!

:D

2 hives gives them each back up should anything go wrong.

Test frame, frame of emerging brood,stores come to mind immediately.

Deep pockets....well let's see

That second hive maybe a nuc box too, handy for making a split or overwintering a small colony.

Then you will need another hive for every one you have to do that inevitable AS

Supers.....3 per hive, maybe more if you go brood and a half (don't!)

Clearer board, though you can easily make that yourself.

Nice 6mm thick polycarbonate crown board so you can look into your bees without disturbing them.

Frames and wax...you can never have too much

Feeders

Extracting gear and jars

A sheet of kingspan to use for insulation and dummying.

Oh and sugar....keep an eye on the prices in the supermarkets. Mostly around the 90p mark but poundstretcher have it for 1.50 for 2 bags

The more I type the more the list becomes endless :lol::lol:

But that's all next year.

I would recommend that you don't aim for increase this year.

Gert used to handling a big hive then do it next year.

Enjoy it though.