jeshen Posted May 14, 2012 Share Posted May 14, 2012 My pekin bantam, Golda, has been sitting on her eggs for 5 days. Unfortunately I had to go away overnight (a neighbour shut the hens in and let them out this morning) and returned this afternoon. I found Golda away from her nest, scrabbling about with the other 3 pekins. I don't know how long she had been out, but when I felt the eggs they were only luke-warm. I managed to persuade Golda to go back on to her nest where she settled again. But is it too late? Will the eggs now be spoiled? Would be grateful if anyone could tell me how long they remain viable... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted May 14, 2012 Share Posted May 14, 2012 They should be ok but will probably hatch a little late I dont know the exact amount of time a broody needs to be absent but have had one leave eggs for 7 hours and also had a power cut for 10 hours with eggs in an incubator and still had chicks They are able to survive longer the further in to development they are as they can generate a bit of body heat themselves but even early on its amazing how long they can be left Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mimi5 Posted May 14, 2012 Share Posted May 14, 2012 Not sure on times but my pekin has pooed on her eggs 3 times during the 21 days and each time I had to remove them and wipe them with warm water and paper towel, then refresh/clean the nest and replace them all. I felt sure with all that had gone on none would hatch!!! But with alot of support and encouragement to wait and see.......I have 5 chicks out of 6 so far and she's still sitting on the last one!!(day 24 tomorrow!) The first to hatch was one of the worst poo stained eggs!!!! I believe that cooling is a part of the hatching process?? But I think I read it can delay that hatch. Probably somebody much more knowledgable than me can shed more light!!!! But all I'm saying is it might not mean giving up!!! Best wishes with Golda!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jeshen Posted May 14, 2012 Author Share Posted May 14, 2012 Thanks both. That's very comforting - fingers crossed all will be ok. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Shirl Posted May 15, 2012 Share Posted May 15, 2012 Just wanted to add we had 3 power cuts each of around four or five hours. Two in the first week and one in the final week and all fertile eggs hatched. So I wouldn't worry too much. Ours hatched on days 19 to 20 so didn't even arrive late as I expected. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...