Henslaved Posted May 27, 2012 Share Posted May 27, 2012 Rosie, Scoot and Treacle were let out to FR this afternoon. I did my usual poo pick and general clean and tidy of the run while they were out. Went back home to get their treat bowls with some sweetcorn and yoghurt........couldn't find Rosie and Scoot anywhere, but Treacle was still lurking around the run chatting to Pudding (who is not allowed out at the moment). Called the girls and rattled their treat bowls to which they usually come running, looked in their usual scratching spots.......still nowhere to be seen . I live by the canal and I just thought "oh I better check there , just incase" (which I have done lots of times before and they always come running from somewhere else ), and to my horror I found Rosie holding herself up between a boat and the canal wall soaked and shaking, of course I got her out and then panicked and looked for Scoot, luckily a neighbour spotted her just under a little wooden bridge and managed to scoop her out, also soaked and shaking. Not sure how long they had been in there , I had been looking for them for at least 10 minutes . I wrapped them both in a towel and got them in the sun, but both of them were shaking, eyes closing and combs going a deep purple , I thought this is it I'm going to lose them . Hairdryer I thought , but have to get Treacle back in the run first. Treacle would not let me anywhere near her, flapping and squawking if I came close ( I can usually pick her up no problem). Anyway, got the other two home and dried them with the hairdryer, combs still bluey and shaking. Had the hairdryer on them a bit more until they were DEFINITELY dry. To test how shocked and cold they were, I offered them some sweetcorn, which they both woofed down to my relief. Popped them back in the run with some sweetcorn, yoghurt and avipro and it's as if nothing happened. It just seems strange to me why they were BOTH in the water, maybe a swoop from the local sparrowhawk perhaps . Something definitely spooked all three girls. Lesson learned I will never ever leave my ladies unsupervised whilst out FR ever again . I just hope they're ok tomorrow. Sorry for the long post . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
AndreaT Posted May 27, 2012 Share Posted May 27, 2012 Oh no! How horrible for you and them! They know how to give us a fright don't they? Fingers crossed they're ok tomorrow. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egghead68 Posted May 27, 2012 Share Posted May 27, 2012 Your nerves must be in tatters what with Pudding's op. too. Glad you found them and they made a quick recovery. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Henslaved Posted May 28, 2012 Author Share Posted May 28, 2012 You're right about the nerves Egghead68 , am beginning to think it's time to take a rest from chicken keeping . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
angeluk69 Posted May 28, 2012 Share Posted May 28, 2012 Oh my! Poor you! And your poor girlies...although they certainly like to keep you on our toes, your nerves must be shot at the mo. How are they all this morning? X Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Henslaved Posted May 28, 2012 Author Share Posted May 28, 2012 They both seem fine, it's as though nothing happened . Was expecting a funny shaped egg from Rosie this morning, but it looks just like her others only a little lighter in colour. Will supervise them more closely this evening and see if they remember to stay away from the water . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
angeluk69 Posted May 28, 2012 Share Posted May 28, 2012 Typical kids eh? Panic the life out of you and then they just carry on as if nothings happened and theres nothing to be fussing over, all while you are hatching plans for round the clock surveilance. Hows Pudding now? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Henslaved Posted May 28, 2012 Author Share Posted May 28, 2012 Too true . With regard to Pudding, I just got back from the vets with her after her implant. The vet is happy with how her wound is healing and dust baths have been ok'd. She is her normal greedy self, but I still daren't let her in with the others just yet . Will start a new thread regarding the implant. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...