Bramble

Another Ebay Problem ...

Hello

I sold an item for 99p ages ago. Seconds before the auction finished the bidder (who had already bid) asked if I would post to Germany (I had said UK only). I said yes, I would, told him the postage cost and stressed that it would be at his risk. He then took about three weeks to pay (despite me emailing him), by which time the postage had gone up here. Anyway, I posted the item when he had paid and swallowed the extra postage cost (which virtually wiped out the cost of the item). I have had an email from him this morning, one month later, to say the item has not arrived. I did get proof of posting and told him at the time that he would have to make the claim if the item didn't arrive, so I'm now worried I'm going to get bad feedback. Any advice anyone, please? :(

How did you send it?

Surface or Airmail?

Because 3-4 weeks can be about the amount of time it can take....in fact you could try to claim from the Royal Mail,but I don't think they will allow a claim to be put in before 6 weeks,which is when they decide it is 'lost'

You can only claim for the 99p value of the item,not the postage,so if I were you I would just refund the guy the whole amount & take it on the chin this time.

TBH I would have only given him a week to pay initially,as any longer than this is taking the mick a bit,& you know you are dealing with a numpty :roll:

He may neg you,but you can respond outlining the facts....no decent ebayer will neg for an item lost in the post which has been refunded though!

THank you Cinnamon!! At times like this I feel that Ebay is far more trouble than it's worth :(

It went Airmail.

I think I've already decided to refund him, the man's total pain in the neck (I've also added him to my blocked senders list, he was a complete pain to deal with and although others have left him positive feedback, 'cos they can't do anything else, they've said that there was "confusion" over payment etc, so clearly it's him, not me)!

Thank you for your words of wisdom, I am a bit calmer now :anxious:

I try to avoid selling anything that I think will only sell for 99p and never sell outside UK after an early bad experience. I tend to refund anyone who complains, although I know that i sell good quality items and put them in the post straight after payment, it just isn't worth the arguing.

Hopefully your experience will improve, it is largely a positive thing.

Thank you Chickencam, I couldn't agree more! I am learning that 99p sales are way too much hassle and I too have refunded a buyer in the past for an item which apparently didn't arrive (although I had my doubts). Overall I've enjoyed my Ebay experience, but there have just been days like this where a "silly" and usually avoidable problem makes me doubt I want to carry on with it :?

I'm a relative newbie to ebay but have had some excellent advice from friends which has helped enormously.

I try to avoid selling anything which won't fetch a decent price (obviously there are surprises which are exceptions to this) also, I advertise very clearly that all items will be shipped as first class recorded, that way I have the security of proof of delivery and both parties can be confident that the item has been delivered.

Thank you!

I used to use recorded delivery but had so many bidders saying please don't send it recorded 'cos we're not in to take delivery, I stopped using it, always get proof of posting though and largely haven't had any problems ...

I am doing ok with ebay. I have only had one person not pay recently :roll: I tried contacting them but they ignored me. So I 2nd chanced it before having to repost it for sale about a week after the auction ended. I now always say in my listing that they are only to bid if they are going to pay and pay within 24 hours. I always stick to my guns and say no to shipping overseas. The items I have sold recently have been worth over £50 so I send them special delivery. So far so good :pray: