RubyandRosie

Getting chickens used to Cube ladder

I am new to chicken keeping, and have my first two hens this week. They love their Cube, but are scared of the ladder and I have to pick them up to get them up and down. How long does it take before they start to navigate the ladder themselves, and do you have any tips for my Ruby and Rosie? Many thanks.

Hi there! I have a cube and my only worry was the ladder, as I have pekins with feathered feet!

After a bit of googling found somebody who had put garden stiff mesh over the ladder with cable ties! Looked good, so off to homebase and I did the same. It works a treat and they don't seem to need the pot at the bottom!! There is a picture on here in a previous post of mine, as I'm affraid with a teen to help me I can't manage posting pics on here!! :lol:

I saw a post by Omleteer mini5 entitled 'pics of Monty, Milly, Molly & Mandy pekins' with show the hard mesh in place on the eglucube ladder and installed a similar system on my ladder. It has worked extremely well and gives the bantams something to grip on when they go up or down the ladder. Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone...in the end it only took them two days to get the hang of it. They love their little Cube home and I love it too! By the way, this is a wonderful website to connect with other chicken lovers....I am in France and brought my Cube over here last year, but had to wait until now to get my chickens which I got from the local market...they are such wonderful pets.