munkee1965 Posted June 8, 2012 Share Posted June 8, 2012 (edited) My local vet is offering evening talks. I've missed the Basic Chicken Husbandry (would really of liked to go to this one) but they have a Chicken Diseases talk on 12th June which I have put my name down for. It's only £5 per person including light refreshments. 5th July they have a talk called Breeding Chickens. Not something I've thought about yet but might go along for than one aswell. Edited June 8, 2012 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
westie mum Posted June 8, 2012 Share Posted June 8, 2012 Can I ask which vets it is Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
munkee1965 Posted June 8, 2012 Author Share Posted June 8, 2012 It's Beechwood Vets in Kidsgrove. Would be nice to meet another local omleteer. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mimi5 Posted June 8, 2012 Share Posted June 8, 2012 Hi there lucky you! I hope you enjoy them!!? Wish either of the vets I use would run such a thing!!! I'm going on a course in july run by cotswold chickens. It's called "avoid the vet!" I'm really looking forward to it, it's my wedding anniversay pressie from my hubby AND he's coming with me as it's not local and we are going to make a day of it! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Duncan08 Posted June 9, 2012 Share Posted June 9, 2012 Very jealous The nearest chicken vet I have found is an hour and a half round trip! But I have been finding more avian people locally which is a help. I was talking to my mum tonight, (who was brought up on a dairy farm), wondering why there are so few specialists around here. It is definitely not the breeding capital of the country, and not so many people have them as backyard chucks, we were thinking perhaps that the more intensive farming practises just cull at the first sign of trouble to protect the flock. I did ask the breeder when I got my Pekins to recommend a vet and they couldn't, so suspect they self administer, which I do understand to a certain extent if you have hundreds of birds. The vets I have seen (Non avian specialists) only seem to be guessing as much as me - I probably know more from being an omleteer And they don't stock what us chicken keepers need. Would love to find out more, and would really appreciate a proper "hands on" course that taught me real life skills. We learn more every day, as we come across different scenarios, but some of the lessons are hard ones and a little more knowledge might save one or two of our girls from our inexperience. Chicken keeping is "promoted" as being easy, and it is to a certain extent. But there are many things that a little bit of knowledge would make eaiser. My chicks are currently snoring, (they are inside on the dining room table being treated for Cocci,) they bring such a smile to my face, I couldn't imagine not having chickens anymore, enen with the heartache that they bring. Just wish it would stop raining......... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Leicester_H Posted June 10, 2012 Share Posted June 10, 2012 I'm going on a course in july run by cotswold chickens. It's called "avoid the vet!" We went to one of those - it was EXCELLENT - thoroughly recommend it to all but the very expert chicken keepers. Be prepared to be bombarded with information ! You get a set of notes to write on and bring back with you. (We took picnic, and went to local village green to eat them) Enjoy, H Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
munkee1965 Posted June 13, 2012 Author Share Posted June 13, 2012 I went to the talk last night and found it really intresting. I think it might have been aimed more at the vets that were there though as there was alot of talk about perscription meds and pictures of postmortums. The lady doing the talk was one of the countries leading avian vets so really knew her stuff. She'd bought a few birds with her so we got to have a cuddle as well. I held the most beautiful Cream Legbar cockeral who was just a complete stunner. I really feel as if I learnt something and will definatley be going to the next one next month which is "Breeding Chickens". OH seems to think that this one isn't needed as "WE WILL NOT BE BREEDING" but at £5 it would be rude not to go. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...