skwump

is there any point in a duck house?

I have 2 adorable little call ducks who resolutely refuse to sleep in their makeshift house. I had planned to get them a proper house, but if they never use it, is there any point? They are safely contained within a WIR. If they dont use a house, I'd rather remove it and give them all more space in the run.

(duck)(duck)

I have two little call ducks too :D and I have a Dinky Duck house from Flyte so Fancy for them. They don't seem to go in the way chickens do when the light fades, but are very easy to 'herd' into it once the chooks are in bed. I put a small dish of corn with a few meal worms into it and they seem to like that. However I have read that the only reason for shutting them up at night would be to make sure they are safe from predators which they would be if you have a really fox proof WIR so seems like a saving for you.

I'll be interested to read what other people think.

We dutifully herd ours in every night, and they patiently wait for us to leave and then pop back out again! After going back and herding them back in another 2 or 3 times, we eventually give up and leave them to it. I'm kinda hoping that they will get the idea and sleep in their house, but its not looking promising!!

failure to observe bedtimes aside, they are soooo cute!

(duck)(duck)

I should have added, I do actually shut their door once I have herded them in or they would be bound to think another swim or a quick dabble under a bush was a good idea :)

I've had another look at my books too and they say that ducks should be shut in till as late as 9.00 am :shock: (my chooks are up and out well before that) so that any eggs are layed in their house first and you don't have to rummage through the garden looking for them. However I let my wee call ducks out just after my chooks are let out because call ducks are not exactly there for laying eggs so I think the odd one under a bush that I miss does not matter too much.

My 3 (duck) have a !gogreen! with roosting bars removed and run extention. They also have a large area to free range in during the day. I put meal worms in the !gogreen! run and water and close the door and leave them to it. Daisy aways lays her egg in the !gogreen! But Tonto usually lays them in the run. I have to use a stick to push it towads the entrance. :roll: When I go out to shut the girls GNR in their (cube green) bedroom the ducks always quack at me. :shh:

Mine have secure runs, one pair have a car carrier to lay in and the others a covered cat litter tray, they do lay in them but sleep in the open so I dont have proper coops.

In both cases the run mesh has small holes so nothing can grab at them through the wire in the night