batcatz

I'm getting ducks!

6 white campbell duck eggs are going under my broody speckledy this evening. It's taken me two years to decide to go for it.

Fingers crossed that at least half hatch and at least two are girls! They were posted by next day post and have been resting at 45 degree angle since yesterday morning.

Edited: Going to put them under her now so they hatch in the day!

Good luck! I hatched 14 duck eggs under a broody hen a while back. I had a male and female duck at the time so used their eggs. (They had hatched ducklings previously so I thought their eggs would probably be fertile.)Every one hatched out and they were gorgeous! I used to dampen the eggs when the broody hen got off to eat etc ,as I was told that when a duck sits on a clutch, and hops off for food and things, she gets her underside feathers wet before going back onto the eggs. You can wet the hen's feathers apparently but I found just sploshing a little water on the clutch of eggs worked fine. Duck egg shells are a lot tougher than chicken egg shells and the moisture helps to soften them. x

Thanks, I sprayed them when I first put them in her nest and she went on them fine. Took her out this morning and she stayed crouched as if she was still sitting on the eggs for a while. ha ha. Sploshed water on the eggs this time! Will prob take her out of the eglu twice a day so she can eat and drink and I can wet the eggs.

She's used to it, because I've been doing it for a week anyway. I even managed to give the eglu a throrough clean before I put the ducks eggs in. It took an hour and she still went back in. lol.