newcountrygirl

Hubby suddenly become allergic to stings

On monday we had a small swarm which were were unable to catch. On working with the hive hubby got stung on his head. He's been stung loads of times and never had a problem. Yesterday there was a much larger swarm which we managed to retrieve from the very top of a neighbours chestnut tree about 30 feet up. He got stung twice - once on his little finger and once on his middle finger.

When he got up this morning he had a severe headache and his head was swollen. Both his eyes were swollen nearly shut and his middle finger was three times its size and purple! I took him to the doctors where he was given strong antihistamine and an Epipen - with instructions that he should keep it in his bee suit. If stung and any swelling or tingling appears other than at the site of the sting he must inject the Epipen and proceed straight to hospital. So strange that after years he has suddenly developed an adverse reaction.

It happened to my OH as well - being OK and then one time he reacted with a severe allergic reaction and was hospitalised. I think its reasonably common to happen like this. The doctor in the hospital said there is no way of knowing whether next time he was stung he'd be OK or if it would be worse; so we have taken the decision to move the bees out of the garden and my OH is extraordinarily careful when out in the fresh air now.

Would it be timely to get a RAST done?

Stings on heads normally produce an exaggerated reaction anyway and the reaction in his fingers sound more like cellulitis than allergy.

Anaphylaxis, as you know, occurs immediately after the assault and that is what the epi is for.

I have a beekeeping friend who had desensitising treatment and she is fine now. Might be worth exploring.