Surfnirvana

New Chooks both with swollen eye

I bought two new lovely speckaldy hens on Saturday from a well known local poultry dealer. He said they have been vaccinated and I checked them over before taking them home to meet my other 4 girls.

I have kept them separate in their own eglu run whilst others are in their cube.

This morning when I opened the door Milly didn't want to come out. I took her out of the pop hole and noticed her right eye was closed and she was very lethargic. I brought her in doors and wiped cotton wool over it dipped in salt water and then it opened. Her right nostril is also runny. I went and checked on the other newbie - Molly - and she also has a swollen area around her left eye and and runny nose.

I phoned the dealer and he said that they has definitely been vaccinated for mycoplasma and I could bring them back. I'm rather attached to them now, so have made an appointment for my vet to see them today.

In the meantime, I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem with their new Chooks? Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

I would agree you should take them back, I had to take my little ones back earlier in the year and although I was fond of them already I felt this was best for them and my existing girls. I soon found I got just as attached to the replacement girls. It's also good to know there are responsible poultry sellers that care about their customers.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I did take them to my vet who immediately diagnosed mycoplasma. He said we could treat them, but it might come back again as they are carriers. He like you guys suggested it might be better in the long run to return them. He, amazingly didn't charge me for his time!

I took them straight back to the dealer who refunded me - I felt like Judas as I handed them back over, but I know it's the right thing to do. :cry:

I've just disinfected the ground they were on with Virkon S - I hope that will do the trick.

A sad day, but hopefully in the next month we will try again and the weather might not even be so wet too!