Jonathan G

Been keeping Quail for a couple of months now and....

can't understand why more people don't keep them. They are less trouble than chickens, which I also have, make little or no noise and I get 8 eggs from my 8 birds every day without fail. Even the smallest garden can accomodate them so I just don't get it. Am I missing something?

Nowt special. Just have a fairly large double decker rabbit hutch. I've bought a small bird conversion kit for my Eglu so will be sorting that soon and putting them in there until the Winter. I'm planning on starting a new colony each Spring so I'll have a sort of rotation system and always have eggs. The older ones will just be looked after when they stop laying.

oh now you've got me tempted.... I've got an empty double decker rabbit hutch just waiting for occupants.

Lewis, you'd recommend quail, would you? I do fancy the quail eggs to sell at work and they're such adorable little bumble bees when they hatch!

I used to keep mine in a double decker hutch, are in indoor rabbit cages atm just 'cos they're easier to clean out.

Yeah they are good + getting eggs every day now!

I started with quail before chickens, all died but am really liking them again. Will see what the parentals say for when I'm back at Uni!

Let me know if you want some eggs at the BBQ, or even quail :lol:

I would have to agree...... I too love having quail!! They are quiet (as a rule.... Have one noisy cockerel who was sold to me as female in my first group!! He can be noisy in the early hours but have grown very fond of him so guess he's here to stay). Once they get going they are wonderful layers of delicious eggs which are always in demand.

My only piece of advice is to give very careful consideration to their accommodation as cleaning them out can be a bit tricky and of course their safety is paramount as they do tend to hug the perimeter of their run.

Can no longer imagine not having any quail :D