TAJ Posted July 28, 2012 Share Posted July 28, 2012 So many broodies and hubby wanting more blue egg layers so got two sets of eggs delivered, but up Eglu and added broody. When I added eggs the little devil through them out of the nesting box and broke some of them. Some eggs rescued and broody changed and tested with a few ofour own eggs, again broken, etc. So incy came out and the remaining eggs added, plus a few of our own eggs and hatch is due in 7 days. 6 cream legbar eggs, a couple of rescued bought in eggs of other breeds and a few of our own (both our boys are silkies). So I await to see what we end up with. Tracy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gloss-Hen Posted July 28, 2012 Share Posted July 28, 2012 Ohhh exciting I wonder how many hours are going to be spent watching them, just to see if anything is happening Good luck Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted July 30, 2012 Share Posted July 30, 2012 How exciting waiting for the clock to count down. I love hatching it is so exciting but also worrying at the same time. Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TAJ Posted July 31, 2012 Author Share Posted July 31, 2012 Putting the eggs in and going away on holiday for 9 nights (DD at home in charge) has certainly speeded up the wait! 4 days to go now. Tracy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TAJ Posted August 2, 2012 Author Share Posted August 2, 2012 2 days to go, but I forgot I usually add bantam eggs a day or two late as they can take less than 21 days. So with two days to go I have pipping on 2 eggs already - I better get the heat lamp, etc ready. Tracy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mimi5 Posted August 2, 2012 Share Posted August 2, 2012 Oh joy....cute little fluffies!!!! What bantams are you hatching?? I only hatched for the first time this year......because my broody pekins drove me mad!! But you miss all the action, as it's happening under mum!!! Must be lovely to watch it unfolding in the incy......enjoy!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TAJ Posted August 3, 2012 Author Share Posted August 3, 2012 Came down this morning - incy still says 2 days and now I have two fluffy chicks already - what are they? actually their grandmother was a bantam Plymouth Rock and granddad a grey silkie, so mum was that cross (mum's hard feathers and colouring & dad's extra toes, fluffy legs, comb and hair do on head. Dad was a golden silkie. I am getting too casual at this game now - just realised I need to buy chick crumb! - they were not supposed to be here so quickly. Tracy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LolaCola Posted August 3, 2012 Share Posted August 3, 2012 Congratulations! Any more hatched yet? Sounds and interesting mix Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TAJ Posted August 3, 2012 Author Share Posted August 3, 2012 They are now out of the incy and eating and drinking. The others are all full size eggs and the incy says 1 day to go, so I expect to see a bit of pipping tomorrow. Tracy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted August 3, 2012 Share Posted August 3, 2012 How exciting. I thought bantams took the same time as large chickens Enjoy your bundles of fluffiness. Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TAJ Posted August 4, 2012 Author Share Posted August 4, 2012 I think it is egg size that impacts on incubation time - quails eggs less than hens eggs, goose and turkeys longer. Bantams are usually 1-2 days shorter than full size chickens, but it isn't an exact science. I now have a cream legbar pipped and another egg wobbling a lot (not sure what it is - homegrown, silkie dad and probably barnvelder mum, but could be maran) T Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted August 4, 2012 Share Posted August 4, 2012 Thanks for that, if it is size I have three Dutch bantam eggs in and they only weigh 19 or 20g so I wonder if they will hatch before the silkie bantams. I do hope some of the Dutch hatch I just can't imagine how small they will be Good luck with yours that are about to hatch. Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TAJ Posted August 5, 2012 Author Share Posted August 5, 2012 All very sad in the end with the other lot. Of the 6 mixed eggs I bought the broodies ate 4 before I got the incy out, of the other two both were infertile. Of the 6 cream legbars the one that pipped didn't actually do any more, after a lack of movement for a day I assisted, but it was too late. Another 2 were infertile and the others were part formed, so no cream legbars Of our own eggs we have the two chicks doing well, but the other two were dead in shell but fully formed. I have always had great sucess with high success rates - I wonder with all the delays in using the incy, first trying broodies had an impact. Now I need a couple of cream legbar chicks born around 3rd August to add to my chicks, but cannot find ant locally Tracy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LolaCola Posted August 5, 2012 Share Posted August 5, 2012 Oh no, I've had a disaster too, and ended up with nothing its awfully heartbreaking. Hope you find some legbars. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted August 5, 2012 Share Posted August 5, 2012 Oh that is a shame, so sorry that you did not have more successful hatch this time. Glad the two chicks are doing ok, I hope you find some friends for them. Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TAJ Posted August 5, 2012 Author Share Posted August 5, 2012 I have sourced 2 cream legbars that will be 3 days older than my chicks that I can collect from south Wales next Saturday so I hope it will all work out. Tracy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...