hopingforchickens Posted July 29, 2012 Share Posted July 29, 2012 (edited) I'm wanting some lavender in pots to go around my new WIR, so I've put a post on freecycle to see if anyone could spare a bit of an existing bush, a very kind person has got back to me saying I can come and take some cuttings from theirs, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do!!!! Has anyone done this before? Do you just snip one piece off or dig out a bit of the root? PLEEAAAAAAASSSSSE help me, I'm supposed to be going round at 3pm today! Edited July 29, 2012 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gertie Posted July 29, 2012 Share Posted July 29, 2012 Well apparently you pull off the side shoots with a bit of bark on them, then pull off bottom leaves so there is bare stems, dip in rooting powder & then pot up...according to gardeners world. I'm going to have a go! http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/creative-projects/how-to-take-lavender-cuttings/176.html Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hopingforchickens Posted July 29, 2012 Author Share Posted July 29, 2012 Thanks for that! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted July 29, 2012 Share Posted July 29, 2012 I have successfully grown some new plants from seeds. It has taken a few years for them to get to about a foot tall, but they are growing really well and have a good amount of flowers and foliage this year. i will try the cuttings technique you mentioned Gertie Also, if you don't have rooting powder, you can use cinnamon as an anti fungal dipping agent Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hopingforchickens Posted July 29, 2012 Author Share Posted July 29, 2012 Also, if you don't have rooting powder, you can use cinnamon as an anti fungal dipping agent ooh nice tip! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hopingforchickens Posted July 29, 2012 Author Share Posted July 29, 2012 Well it turns out I don't need the cinnamon, to my happy surprise I've come home with three very good sized plants, here are the pictures; hope they take, I've potted them in good compost and given them a good watering so fingers crossed BTW sorry if the pics are massive and sideways, I have edited them they just haven't caught up! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gertie Posted July 29, 2012 Share Posted July 29, 2012 Oooh well done! That's a great find! Hope they take well. I planted a few a couple of months ago & they took well. Hopefully they will do well! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted July 29, 2012 Share Posted July 29, 2012 Ooh lovely looking plants. I think if I am remembering correctly that lavender don't like good soil. They come from dry thin soil places. I am sure someone will say if that's wrong though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hopingforchickens Posted July 29, 2012 Author Share Posted July 29, 2012 No I think you're right the lady said something about how they'd come from sandy soil, but that's all I've got at the minute! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted August 17, 2012 Share Posted August 17, 2012 I used to have lavender in the garden. I took loads of cuttings from the bits that couldn't be reached and therefore not eaten and will be planting them in the FRONT garden away from stomping orpingtons and little giraffes. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...