jensen1234

ducks and dogs :)

Hi all, My partner and my self are new to pet ducks and have just got 2 indian white runners. there lovely and just what we wanted. The only issue we are having is introducing our border terrier to them. He isnt a vicious dog in any way but seems he is just so over excited that he may bite or accidently crush the birds, is there any hints and tips from you that have already managed to introduce ducks to dogs?

Thanks

Jensen (me), Jenny (boss), Alfie (son) , Bobby (dog), Jamima & Ethel (ducks)

Hi it depends on the dog really i have 2 working cockers that run the garden with my chickens and ducks i can leave them out there with them they protect them against the neighbours cat it wasnt the dogs i had to worry about at first it was my drake he would chase my youngest dog away but once he knew he wasnt a threat to him or his girls he was fine is your dog well behaved and does he listen to commands as i just took my dogs out with me and everytime they went near the birds i kept telling them leave we just went from there they know who lives here as they hate wild birds and chase them leanne :)

Hi there and thanks for the reply,

Bobby (dog) is fairly obedient although as soon as he see's jemima and ethel he makes a high pitch squeal and wont pay any attention to a word we say! if i was to close the back door he would sit behind it and squeal. The poor little ducklings haven't a clue what to do, i have tryed having him on the lead and rewarding each step but as soon as they move their head or run away he just goes crazy (not nasty). I think if i was to let him out he wouldn't hurt intentionally them but just be so boisterous it may hurt them accidentally.

I think I need to find someone who has a drake just so bobby can get his "Ooops, word censored!" kicked maybe he will stay well away then?

Thanks Jensen