Hi peoples,

the other day someone cant remeber who hence this post! :D

Suggested that it was not good for chickens to eat rhubarb leaves. My worry is that mine seem to enjoy it very much and every time they are allowed to free range they eat some. This is no problem as there is plenty of rhubarb!!

However if it is not good for them I will have to prevent them eating it :cry::cry:

Any advice would be gratefully received :D:D

Thanks for your reply Jools however I would much rather not have to wire off any part of my garden. Hence my question as I am not sure if it is not safe for chickens to eat rhubabrb leaves. I thought that chickens would not eat foods that are bad for them but i may well be wrong

I know people cant eat the leaves, they are toxic to us......Our hens also peck at the leaves and dont seem to have any problem with them.......In fact I think the rhibarb is their favourite plant to destroy :) lol

If anyone else can help it would be useful as I will stop them eating it if it will do them harm.....

I have had a search around the net and there seems to be some debate on if they are or not.....

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=33244.msg332224;topicseen this links shows they are okay for them.....

I have also called the farm where we got ours from and the lady there said she has never heard of them being poisonious and it is not on their lists of poisonious plants........Not sure if this helps at all......I am going to let mine peck at them and keep an eye on them (mine have been eating it for 2 weeks now and to no bad affect).

Please dont take this post as the right answer though as I can only go by what the poultry breeder told me......I wouldnt want anyone to lose any of their girls on this advise......

On 4/3/2023 at 10:23 AM, Patricia whisker said:

Are the eggs safe to eat if my chickens have eaten rhubarb leaves 

Probably… Concentrations of any toxins won’t be high, but when in doubt, don’t eat the eggs and keep them away from your rubarb.