Salop Chuck

Help - tree-roosting problem!

Hi All

I am struggling to get my 2 new bantams (White Sussex) into their run & eglu at bedtime. All my other bantams troop off to their eglucube bedroom at dusk without me having to do anything. During the day all the bantams FR together in the garden during the day.

The breeder I got the 2 Light Sussex bantams separated all the different chicks early in their life and placed them in one big run together where they ran wild, the younger ones doing their best to avoid the older chicks. I picked my 2 up when they were 9 weeks old and boy were they wild. Until their were POL I kept them in their own run and coop. It was when they integrated with my other bantams that they showed the inclination to roost in the trees. Up until now I have enticed them into their run with their favourite treats. Now only one responds and the other persistently stays outside and gives me the runabout as I try to grab her and put her into the coop. They are now 26 weeks old and should know where to go to roost by now.

My dilemma is - do I let them follow their natural inclination and roost in the trees and what happens in the winter when cold winter weather sets in? I am now at my wits end :wall: Any advice or insights gratefully received.

Hi smartrus

I do place a saucer of chopped cat food in the run to entice them in at dusk. The trouble is only one bantam responds to this treat which leaves the other one (Evie) who runs off under a bush and makes herself unreachable. She has ended up 15ft up a fir tree on her own for tonight. It is the first time she has spent the night on her own so I'm hoping she will behave herself tomorrow night. :!:

Meal worms!! :wink: I haven't met a chicken or duck who can't resist them!! Also do they free range all day? I tend to entice all my girls into the run a fair bit before they want to roost. This way there is no where else for them to go. I did this when they were newbies and it didn't take long for them to get the idea! :clap:

Your'e right zackjon-98, there is less poo in the morning and as expected Evie was up soon after dawn this morning and scatching about in the garden on her own before the other bantams were released. I have tried intervening half and hour or so before bed to entice her into the secure run, but it has become a bit of a game to her running away from me and giving me the run about.

I am hoping that when we start to get seriously cold or wet weather she will make up her own mind to come into the coop at bedtime. I'll keep you posted.