sandyhas3chucks

a new broody owner with questions please

This is my set up.

A WIR with 2 Eglus, in one there are the 2 "sisters" babies still pure breeds at 20 weeks

The 2 Other 30 is week "sisters" One Dod lay a few thinn shells a few good a few thin then took a tad saniffly laid a rubbery egg and nothing since, although does go daily to a nest and scream like she has laid and gives full anouncement of nothing... She is fit healthy flaccid bottom... just doesn't lay...

Her "sister" however has been a regular layer but has gone broody before already, and has gone broody again now.

When she first went broody she was laying her eggs on the bars at the back and they rolled under..

I have got her some hatching eggs which I have put in the nest..

Which she happily stays on...

HOWEVER :D

I have been lifting her off the nest 3 times a day to do her stuff.. and when she returns on her own. she settles back down on the darn roosting bar again and I have to lift her back...

Also her non laying sister does seem to want to sit on the nest with her to lay her non existent egg in the morning.

I have plenty of crates and temporary nest boxes..

One of which I removed from the floor of the run when she went broody last time..

(Oh Eglu is on table so naturally I expect to need to move chicks and her to ground floor at some point, but my spare Eglu is in use at the moment.)

So should I move her , leave her ?

Any experience hatchers would welcome your advice and thoughts... :D

Should I move her

She could be being distracted from the nest box by the other hens.

I would put her in an eglu and run, alone, so the other hens can't disturb her. They will also attack any chicks that hatch.

Remove the bars from the eglu and fill the whole base with aubiose (or whatever) then it doesn't matter where she sits as long as it is on the eggs.

She only needs lifting off once a day, not three. My broody didn't need it at all after the first week, she did it herself.

But Egluntyne is right - it will be getting a bit cold for chicks now, you may need to find them somewhere very sheltered, or even indoors. :D

ok thanks, she has just now first time put herself on the eggs in the nest on her return...

The other 3 are only in the run for an hour in the morning then at bed time .

Only her "sister" goes near her,..

I dont know if I looked in the wrong places but couldnt find much info on A Broody hatching and saw one post where another hen was helping....???? (unless I read it wrong , will have to go back and look.)

My Piglu will be available in 10 days..

Should I in the mean time

a) leave her with her sister at night, then fence her sister away in the morning,

b)Move her and her eggs into the nest box in the crate right now and then into the piglu when it is available (slightly concerned with the cooler nights right now?

c) move her sister out on her own, or force the issue with the youngsters that are still approx 1/2 her size.

d) wait..

Going indoors is not a problem when hatched...

Have various options... including breeder taking them as weeny should she not be a good mother...

I am sure it is obvious to :oops: the experienced, :oops:

At least shes sussed the sitting on them..

Wont she need to poo more than once a day off the nest?

There isn't much info Sandy, I know cos I looked as well!

Not very experience myself, only having done it the once!

But I did find my chucks sister was hassleing her off the nest. You can leave them together, others have done it, but there are no guarentees and for my peace of mind and her peace, I kept her by herself all the time. Her sister went in with the big girls, but behind a fence so she wasn't all alone but they couldn't get at her.

And yes they only need to poo once a day - mine is only a pekin and when she pood I though one of the dogs had done it!! :o They seem to save it all up :lol:

They do a particular type of gigantic and smelly poo when broody. I would move her into her own quarters, and leave her to it. if you keep disturbing her, she might go off the idea and the chicks will be lost.

yes noticed that delight already :D

ok all noted thanks will get her own permanent quarters sorted.

Thought after the 2 in the Piglu in the omlet WIR could just as easily be given new quarters in one of my larger sky Kennels until the othr Eglu is vacated in 10 days, that way she only gets moved once... early...

Thanks again you all helped me sort that out...

And as a bonus perhaps the 2 in the piglu, will decide they can join the others on the Cube after all (my recent rehomed lot!!!)

I like a plan, will sleep better...