Couperwife

Cooking for the war

Its year 6 open evening tomorrow and my friend who teaches History is going a VE day party :D

I'm baking Carrot Cookies :D

They actually look quite good.

I found a website by this woman who was cooking like they did in the war to help her lose weight, it's actually really interesting. It's 1940sexperiment.wordpress.com

Now, I seem to have gone all "ww2" and I'm looking for books to read and wanting to go to Eden Camp :lol:

Cathy

X

Wartime recipes are often surprisingly good. We are frequently led to believe that food was boring and unpalatable in the forties but don't believe that for a minute :lol: . If you ignore anything that claims to be "mock" something or other, a lot of the recipes in books like Marguerite Patten's "We'll Eat Again" are perfectly acceptable today and as they are lower in fat and sugar due to the rationing of the time, they are also far healthier than today's calorie laden versions. LSH is currently trying to lower his cholesterol levels and I'm losing weight so as a family, we're eating quite a lot of wartime recipes, thanks to my embarrassingly large collection of 40s recipe books :oops: . A particular family favourite is this steamed pudding, made with carrots to boost the sugar ration and it's very good indeed!

Wartime Chocolate Pudding

2 oz margarine

1 oz sugar

1 cup grated carrot

2 tbsp golden syrup

2 cups flour

1 heaped tbsp cocoa

1 tsp bicarb

1 tsp baking powder

pinch salt

½ pint milk

A little vanilla essence

Cream the margarine with the sugar and stir in the grated carrot, syrup and the rest of the dry ingredients. Add milk and a few drops of vanilla essence. Mix to a fairly stiff consistency. Put into a greased basin and steam for 2 hours.

Eden Camp is BRILLIANT!!! Well worth a visit :wink: . I'd move into the prefab if they'd let me :lol: .