coco

Badly pecked hen.

One of my girls has been very badly pecked. I took her to the vet who said the wound is down to the bone and muscle. The chicken has had an antibiotic injection and has baytril for 5 days, I have also purple sprayed the wound. She is in the rabbit hutch and is eating and drinking ok. The vet suggested to bathe the wound with salt water every day.Hopefully she won't get an infection, the vet wanted to put her to sleep but as she is a young hen I wanted to give her a chance. Any other ideas to help the wound heal. Aren't chickens horrible, little madams.

Chickens can be surprisingly resilient and often heal quickly. I think you are doing all you can, see she has a good diet and some fresh air and exercise when the weather is ok.

You will have to watch her when she goes back in, apparently they get pecked when they don't react in the correct way to the others behaviour, so there may be some underlying problem. The trouble is once the others have tasted blood it is difficult to get them to stop. If it is on her back a hen saddle might help

Fingers crossed she is going to be ok She is going stir crazy in the rabbit hutch so I think I will put her in in the introductory run in the WIR so at least she can see the others. She is being a right little madam, doesn't want to have her wound bathed, doesn't want her medicine and is desperate to get back with the others, all good signs. I have been giving her a general poulty tonic, no good asking the vet he was pretty useless. Unfortunately I might just have to get her a friend to be re introduced with, shame. Fingers crossed she doesn't get an infection.