Bramble

Worried about my hound ...

Thanks DM, yes, dogs are a HUGE worry :(

Can't figure out how/why she's so well in herself, bounding around like a loon, wanting to go for walks etc but just not interested in food (well not as much as usual, anyway, she is eating, just not very much) All her bowls (at home and in the office :roll: !) are on stands, but what she eats now, she seems to want to eat lying down on her bed, which is very odd. Is she just attention seeking? Live in hope that the worming treatment will help ...

She does have metal bowls normally, but I've bought a plastic one to see if that changes anything - she does seem happier to eat out of anything plastic rather than metal (this is a new problem, never been an issue before), I've even started to take her collar off when I feed her in case her name tag was bothering her, but that doesn't seem to have an effect (interestingly, she will still drink water out of her metal bowl - although naturally prefers to drink from puddles wherever possible!!!)

I do wonder if she's just being a bit of a 'picky princess', or maybe even has a touch of senility. My last lurcher was 16.5 when she was PTS, she had a canine form of vascular dementia due to her heart condition and she sometimes did odd things like that.

Kelli on Lurcher Link used to head up one of the greyhound rescues and has endless experience with their ways, try asking her.

Perhaps she doesn't need as much food now she's older. I'm getting a bell for one of mine he's only 10 but does go into a world of his own and I need to know he's with me as he doesn't watch where I am going any more and now it's muddier he's blending in at the woods! He also ate a letter the other day when he's never done anything like that before.

Senility!? :shock: I think it's me that's got that problem, not Willow!!!! :lol::lol:

She actually ate very well yesterday (relatively - although not without a fair bit of prompting - so it was far from a normal day) so the milbemax might have had an effect, or is that just wishful thinking ? :think:

HiLife Moist Mince is still what she will eat without too much fuss, she'd even been refusing tuna (she can't normally help herself when that's available), but she did eat a good amount of tuna last night (from her bowl, on her bowl stand - progress in itself) so we'll see what today brings ...

Interesting point is there were three other dogs in the office yesterday (reckon we've got more dogs than people!!!) Willow knows and gets on well with all of them, but it's unusual for those three to be in the office together - made me wonder if Willow was more keen to eat thinking her chums would polish off what she left?

Hi,

I'm not saying this would work for your Willow, but it has for my dogs and cats too. My father used to breed cockers and coon hounds. He said when his dogs were "off their food" he would give them one fresh egg yolk , 1/4 cup of whole milk or cream, and a tablespoon or two of whiskey. He would mix it up really well and give it to the sick dog. Make sure it doesn't smell to much like the whiskey or she won't drink it. My father would also mix it into some wet food if the dog wouldn't drink it. Don't ask me how this helps, but it does. I have tried this on several of my pets when they are not eatting, and they will eat the next day after a really good sleep or (this happened to my cat Dottie) vomit and wow I found some yarn she ate. After that she was fine and lived until she was 16 years old. (RIP my little lady).

You may want to ask your vet before you try this as I don't know what other meds ect... your Willow is on. Also we have several Greyhound rescue groups here in Tampa Bay, Florida due to the racing. Below are three links to their websites. They may have some ideas too.

Good luck,

Melinda

http://www.great-greyhound.org

http://bayareagreyhounds.org

http://www.greyhoundpets.com/index.php

he would give them one fresh egg yolk , 1/4 cup of whole milk or cream, and a tablespoon or two of whiskey. He would mix it up really well and give it to the sick dog.

That has made me chuckle something rotten mindychick. My mum swears by this as a cure-all remedy for sick people. I will tell her that I'm none too impressed she has been giving me dog medication all these years! :lol:

he would give them one fresh egg yolk , 1/4 cup of whole milk or cream, and a tablespoon or two of whiskey. He would mix it up really well and give it to the sick dog.

That has made me chuckle something rotten mindychick. My mum swears by this as a cure-all remedy for sick people. I will tell her that I'm none too impressed she has been giving me dog medication all these years! :lol:

Oh no that is too funny. Maybe that is where my father heard about it? He was in the US Army in England for sometime during WWII. Before he was sent over to Europe. Hmmmmm that could be where he got it. :wink:

Hello everyone!!! Willow and I were away last week, so thought I'd stop by with a quick update ...

Willow was very finicky about her food for the first few days of our holiday (perfectly normal for her, she's always like that in a new place, which I guess is understandable), but things did improve as the week went on and on Friday night she asked for (and ate) seconds :) and then thirds :D !!!!

She does not seem happy to eat small meals by herself (without me hand feeding her) and two small helpings do seem to attract her more than one larger helping, which is fine - she's not completely back to normal, but her appetite is hugely improved :D

The "egg yolk" remedy sounds interesting, but one slightly dim question - should the yolk be raw, or cooked??? :anxious::oops:

Yes, Tango loves raw eggs too - yolk, white, shell, the whole caboodle!

If you've not given one to Willow before, just pop it whole in her bowl. She'll probably have quite a bit of fun poking and rolling it round before she realises it's edible :lol: (I'd recommend shutting her in the kitchen when you do this so it doesn't end up all over your carpet - I speak from experience here!)

Hello everyone!!! Willow and I were away last week, so thought I'd stop by with a quick update ...

Willow was very finicky about her food for the first few days of our holiday (perfectly normal for her, she's always like that in a new place, which I guess is understandable), but things did improve as the week went on and on Friday night she asked for (and ate) seconds :) and then thirds :D !!!!

She does not seem happy to eat small meals by herself (without me hand feeding her) and two small helpings do seem to attract her more than one larger helping, which is fine - she's not completely back to normal, but her appetite is hugely improved :D

The "egg yolk" remedy sounds interesting, but one slightly dim question - should the yolk be raw, or cooked??? :anxious::oops:

Raw and fresh :D

Our greyhound Skipper normally eats the same food as our Border Collie - Wagg Complete Worker. He has occasional days when he doesn't want to eat, but the raw egg trick always works. We took him to the Lake District last week and he was a bit picky for a couple of days.

Generally avoid treats between meals, though. Just the occasional small dog biscuit when he decides that he doesn't want to go out last thing at night!