heth1986

a quick question for the fox savvy omleteers...

Hi all, following the loss of my 3 girls last week I'm about to buy some welded mesh from hills of devon in an attempt to fox proof. I'd like to buy the 1.6mm stuff with 2" square holes, would this be okay or would 1" holes be better?

I'm also thinking of wiring the floor of the run underneath the woodchip, could this be done in normal chicken wire (I have loads)? The welded mesh sides will all be dug down so I guess this is just an extra precaution.

Thanks in advance!

Ah, a very good point thankyou hennypenny! I'd been so intent on keeping the foxes out, i didn't even think of the chickens poking their heads through! :roll:

Saying that though, there is 3 foot of chicken wire around the base of the run which I plan to leave there and just double up around the base (with weld mesh, not chicken wire). I just though perhaps it would be easier to get through with bigger holes, but then Mr Fox :evil: shouldn't be able to bite through it anyway... should he?

I have used 1 inch by 2 inch on our WIR. Works as well but better viewing. One the subject of foxes. I took a lead from Omlet's run and instead of digging down and putting the mesh vertitcal I have put about a foot of mesh flat on the floor all the way round. This was covered with a thin layer of soil and the grass has grown to cover it. The theory is that a fox will always try to dig up against a fence so it cant dig down. It can alwys dig deep enough if the mesh is buried vertical especially if it is not very deep. We have seen signs of fox attacks and the theory seems to hold water so far.