StephenW

Chicks not going into house

Hi guys,

Looking your help again please. I had three chicks which are grown up now, they were taken of the heat lamp and moved in with the big girls but they still havn't learnt to go up the ladder at night to go to bed so they just sit outside cuddled up then we have to put them in each night. Please can you advise?

Thanks

Steve

it can take time for them to learn that the new coop is home especially if the older girls are a bit reluctant to share their sleeping quarters with them it took 3 months for the one batch this year to start to put themselves to bed when I moved them in with my no2 laying mob. just keep showing them the way their'll get there

What kind of ladder is it? My little ones struggled with the gaps in the cube ladder so had to put netting over it to start with (strong plastic garden stuff with cable ties). That and walk them up it saying "this is how we go to bed" much to my hubbies amusement! They caught on fairly quick, apart from Connie who could hear them all in box and used to stand under cube and try and fly at the bottom - poor special chook! Sussed now. :D Good luck

You could try leaving a torch inside the coop as it gets dark and they are usually attracted to the light.

If they still don't get the idea I'd maybe leave them on the ladder and encourage them to go in themselves rather than just popping them in everynight