EmmaC

litter trays

It's best to get one with high sides, as girls tend to 'go over the top'. There are corner ones and square ones available like this, I have a square one in my girls' bed area and it just about fits. I use Tesco own brand wood pellet litter or wood shavings - be careful not to use anything else, otherwise is could harm them if they ate it. It just needs emptying out and rinsing every couple of days.

They are easy to train, see http://www.rossrabbits.co.uk for tips

Have fun

Clare

Sorry that was a bit rushed Emma - was abou tto leave work!

Just to finish off:

You shouldn't have any problem training your bunnies, they are naturally fastidious and you have probably noticed that they use one specific are for their toilet already.

You will need to put all their poos etc from that area into the new litter tray to give them the idea that they should go in the new place

Then scrub the old area to get rid of the 'toilet smell' - I use warm soapy water with a few drops of tea tree oil. I then strip the rest of the hutch of any bedding for a few days so that they don't find any other comfy areas to widdle.

Then, if you see them looking like they are going to 'do something', pick them up and dump them in the litter tray with lots of praise and perhaps a favourite treat when they use it successfully. The poos aren't really a problem as they are like dried raisins and don't smell, they will eat most of the caecotroph poos (for their digestion), it's just the wee that smells so much!

A bit like kittens really!

I have just introduced my rabbit to a litter tray...he always did his buisness in the same area anywyays. but mainly got it ashe is an indoor rabbit. and often running around my living room....

he took to it perfectly. makes it so much easyer also.

i have a large corner litter tray (its low at oneside but the 2 corner sided are high...makes cleaning him out much easyer...just the litter tray daily the rest of him is very clean for a few days atleast....

litter tray cost £5 from pets at home...

Great to hear that it's working Shirley. You're right, it does make cleaning out so much easier, and they stay smell-free too. Take care not to use any clumping litter as it could kill them if they chewed it - just use the wood one that I mentioned or just woodchip.

I rinse mine out every other day, and then once a week when I clean the hutch I wash it with warm soapy water with a few drops of tea tree oil in it - works a treat. :D

the first litter i bought from pets at home, specialy for rabbits....but wee'd on it clogs... i was not imressed. As i know its dangerour for rabbits. so took it back, they swaped it for another litter. which im still not sure on....not as bad as other but still clogs a little. the thing is its made for rabbits!

i did notice in there tho little wood chippings, its ment to be for parots...but dont see why i cant use that. its small chuncks of wood....a little more expencive but the cost dont bother me the rabbits safty is more important

That's a shame Shirley, either you could buy up a few bags next time you go near a Tesco, or see if your local pet store stocks, or can order in an equivalent for you. I remember that I started off using one from my pet shop, but I can't remember what it was called :roll: . Perhaps you coudl ask about it - it comes in wooden pellets, it might have been called something like 'fussypuss'

Good luck

I use Bio Catolet cat litter in my bunny's litter tray which is safe for rabbits. Its 4.89 for 12 litres, its in a bright green bag so you shouldn't miss it and they sell it in Sainsbury's if you have one near you. They also sell it in Tesco's, but I know you aren't near one, so maybe they would sell it in other big name supermarkets as well. My rabbit likes to eat some of it sometimes and it hasn't done him any harm, so it must be safe for them like it says!

Iv just started using a diff one from petshop for rabbits. cant remember what it is now tho. and im to lazy to move to see what its called. cast £2.99 for 5lt) but it should last a while...its basicaly dried sweetcorn...and it did suprise me as i couldnt see it been absorbant. butit is...it stays smell free for a while also. i changed it after 4 days, and it was still dry. could have left it a day or longer i think. but dont like idea of that...did leave the rabbit a week before claning him out and he was still clean everywere else....

Mind he spends all his time layed inthe litter tray now...dives into it and rolles in it yack,,,but he likes it. maybe as its hard it maybe scratches him....

we dont have a sainsburys either. We have asda and morrisions...but not noiced anything in there. but this litter seams to be working fine. and so im told sweetcorn is safe for rabbits so it wont harm him at all either....ok its a little dere but worth it.

If you can't get the wood pellet litter, then it's important to get one which isn'tclumping as if they eat it, they'll get bunged up insides.

Shredded paper might be ok Maxijas so long as they don't eat it. If they do, then take it out or they'll end up with gastric stasis, where their gut just stops moving :shock: . Paper isn't very absorbent, so you might have to empty out the litter tray more often.

This is the one from Tesco, and it's £3.99 for 10 litres

5031021331908_200.jpg

I have a Book and in it is say to make a litter tray :

step 1 :Get a old normal tray.

step 2 :Take some old newspaper and spred it in the tray.

step 3 :Let the rabbit do the, you now what i mean, in it then after a week you just have to replace the newspaper.

from fabc

After a week? :shock: It'll pong long before then. If the poo tray gets too full or smelly then the bunnies will go back to using the floor of their hutch instead as they like to be fresh.

If you have a girl bunny, then get a high sided tray as they tend to wee higher up if you get my drift :? and it goes over the top of low sided trays.

:lol::lol: If they are coming up to puberty, then they will spray (like tom cats) and their litter training goes out of the window - they will settled down again when they've been done. Mine went through that stage when theye wreer still in their wooden hutch and I just cleared out any bedding at all and left it bare with just their litter tray, they soon decided that it was a much nicer place to do their wees.

Tell your two that they are naughty little lads; i'll give them a big hug next time I see them though.