The Mcconnochies

No eggs for a 6 weeks...

Hi they are probably having a winter break which most chickens do. Are they hybrids or pure breeds? Pure breeds hardly ever lay over winter and hybrids often do at first. I don't have have hybrids but some people have found theirs only lay over their first winter and then stop for others. Hope you get some eggs soon :D

Hi they are probably having a winter break which most chickens do. Are they hybrids or pure breeds? Pure breeds hardly ever lay over winter and hybrids often do at first. I don't have have hybrids but some people have found theirs only lay over their first winter and then stop for others. Hope you get some eggs soon :D

Thanks, they are hybrids so I guess we will be waiting till the spring :)

:lol: I guess my ratio of 5:2 isn't so bad!

It's not the temperature, but the light levels that affect laying, and whilst in my experience a lot of hybrids will lay through their first winter, by the second one they have lost a bit of 'oomph' and tend to shut down for at least a week or two. As soon as the days get a bit longer you should get eggs again. Valentine's Day is a good marker, as it's around then that we get 10 hours daylight, depending of course where you are in the UK.