oneyolktoanother

Advice needed please

One of my girls molly has had a cold sneezing and like a gurgling noise in her throat so took her to the vets, and she was given Tylan and metacam and others were treated with tylan aswell, she has been fine in her self eating and scrathing around. But noticed that this morning let her out and gave her last dose of metacam and she has a bubblish foam in the corner of her eye :?: any ideas or advice what to do :?:

thanks in advance :)

I can't offer any advice on treatment etc, but...

I have seen a great deal of conflicting advice about this problem, which does not seem uncommon, and it varies between people just leaving the bird to recover to (hopefully not) culling. Most people seem to report an othrwise healthy looking bird, and I suspect that this issue could come and go unnoticed in many birds, but one important thing seems to be the age. Younger birds seem to get this and shake it off..?

Most notably, the condition is associated with respiratory disorders, which would fit with your situation.

The most important thing is not to be hasty, I guess, and I would ring the vet for advice. This could be something as simple as a rebound from the recent treatments, and will resolve itself.

Keeping the eye clean would be my priority.

I do hope that someone on here can offer something much more than this, and that the bird does well though.

Good luck

It could be Mycoplasma, the symptoms sound similar. I had this in my flock of bantams, or I should say HAVE this in my flock because they never truly get rid of it. Having said that, I have three bantams that are all carriers and the symptoms do rear up now and again, usually at moulting time and a course of antibiotics and a good tonic like Lifeguard in their water seems to get them through and they get well again. Please don't panic it is not all doom and gloom, the only thing that is a downside is that it is really hard or impossible to increase your flock as you would risk infecting any new birds with the disease. I made the decision not to cull my flock all the while they have a good quality of life and I am two years on now and have three very happy chickens. I would go back to your vet and get some oral antibiotics for your girls and dose them with a good quality tonic and see how they get on. Good luck :)

Thankyou been to the vets and it looks mycoplasma but the vet did say it could be cured as we have caught it early so there on tylan for seven days (don't think the last course was long enough only 3 days). Also Molly is going to stay on metacam for seven more days aswell. The vet did say he could try her with other antibotics but they coułd make her poorly and off her food so decided that wasn't the best solution. He said if she's no better in 7 days to bring her straight back. So fingers crossed and praying.