Grandmashazzie

Oh dear first sick hen

OH went to let girls out this morning and one just stayed on bars when he touched her she went into nest box and is still there.She is standing puffed up and would not touch mealworms.Yesterday there was an egg that looked like description of egg drop syndrome are the two connected? These are ex batts would they have been vaccinated against this ? Is it contagious are the others at risk? Meanwhile how long should I leave sick one she doesn't seem in any distress should I leave her in peace.Any help greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your poorly girl. In my experience, ex-batts do tend to have problems with their laying tackle when they get older, and it might be an idea to take her to a vet for a check up.

Is her abdomen swollen? If so, it could be peritonitis. Either way, if she is puffed up and miserable, I wouldn't leave her too long before taking action.

I assume that she has been wormed regularly with Flubenvet?

Good luck.

Yes she was wormed nov with marriage pellets with flubenvet and had just got some to worm again.I checked her over for crop and vent but didn't feel any problems ,but she was very light compared to others,I syringed some water into beak at 12 and when I went to check her at 1.15 she had gone.I'm glad she passed peacefully it is so hard,you want to do the right thing,this morning she was calm and just sitting in coop blinking and I thought let nature take its course,then I thought oh no if she dies I'll feel guilty I didn't do something so tried water.Now I think did It go into lungs ,did I finish her off .But trying to think she has had a good 6 months out in fresh air enjoying sun yesterday.The others all look very well and I hope they get a longer taste of freedom.RIP Chicken Licken.