craftyhunnypie

temporary housing

Hi everyone,

I feel a bit frustrated today as I have seen some lemon pekins for sale. When my mk2 is vacant, I want a buff orpington bantam & some pekins or just pekins. Problem is until my cube arrives on 14th August, the mk2 is occupied.

I just wondered if I got the pekins , would there be any sort of temporary accomodation I could keep them in? I could keep them indoors so long as they were in something for a while. I'm not keen on the thought of wood houses, so have steered clear of popping down to the shed place & buying a cheap arc.

Another question is - if I got some very young pekins & kept them in a broody box with lamp indoors...at what age could they be sexed? I'd love a cockerel, but I couldn't have one where I live at the moment. Definitely when I get my smallholding in the future tho! :wink:

Hope someone can help as I really want my pekins!

Thanks

Emma.x

That's ok :D

At the moment my chickens live in the eglu mk2. When my cube comes they are moving out and into the cube, so my mk2 will be empty - that's why I'm having bantams, so they can live in the empty eglu.

But I'm a bit impatient & want some pekins now!!! he he

So any ideas for temporary accomodation for them would be great! A bit like sending them to the chicken YMCA!!!! :lol:

Emma.x

I bet I am to blame for this :D:D:D

I reserved mine - then as cube was later than originally planned, I had a batch from the next hatchings - which I am thrilled with.

Do you have space in a shed - so that you can make up a temporary house inside with say a tea chest on its side and some netting around for a run - and deep litter of course?

A rabbit hutch and extra run?

If you buy them mite and pest free and use a new rabbit hutch or whatever that has not housed any 'animals' or poultry, I don't see why it should get infested with and mites etc before you cube is due

If you are concerned use Diatom.

Wooden housing doesn't necessary equal red mite infestation! It's all about housekeeping and staying alert - pretty much the same as with an Eglu or Cube. There are some bargains to be had on e-bay, or the cheapy rabbit runs from pet super stores (provided you can put them somewhere foxproof). Go for it - I would!!

I swapped my eglu for a wooden house (as it wasn't big enough and the cube was barely in planning stages) and I wouldn't change it now, not even for a cube! We've had a few red mites this summer but the problem was easily solved and avoided them completely last summer. Wooden houses aren't as bad as everyone makes out - especially if it is only temporary :D