Eggasperated

Cat Flu - I've done a stupid thing

Following the loss of Rosie in January I decided to get another cat as company for Lily. Yesterday I picked up a 6 month old rescue cat from its foster home, the guy said it had just started sneezing but I stupidly said I would still take it. I stopped at my vets on the way home and the cat had a very high temperature and the vet said it was very likely to be cat flu given its unvaccinated status and the fact that the rescue centre itself had cat flu (although this cat had been with the foster home for 11 days). I let the vet treat it and then even more stupid took it home.

I put it in a separate room from my own animals and it wandered all over the furniture investigating the room; then OH came home and was absolutely furious with me (and rightly so), I then made arrangements to return it to the foster home and took it back last night.

I have gone mad wiping everything with anti-bacterial wipes, washing all my clothes and the blankets I had put out for it. I have shut that room off from Lily and the dog but I am still terrified I will pass it on to Lily, even though she is vaccinated, as I am worried about the carpet and other things that the cat may have sneezed on before I took him back.

I am at a loss to know what to do now, although I don't think I will ever think about getting another cat again.

I am so worried about Lily :cry: .

I've brought 3 cats into my home over the past 4 years, to reside along with two others. Unkknown to us, of those three, the first two had contracted the Calici virus and our latest has Herpes. Symptoms over the years have reduced to nothing with the Calici virus and the last cat occassionaly gets a gunky eye from the Herpes which clears up miraculously with a Lysine amino acid. All the cats are vaccinated and you would never know there was anything wrong with them. My one remaining original cat has never contracted anything from them despite the fact they all feed from each others bowls and share the house. So I suspect that once vaccinated the cats do get a degree of protection. Of course we did have some scaremongering from the vets to say they should never share bowls etc....but with four cats that is impossible.

Sue

I've spoken to my vet and she says it is unlikely but still possible :( that Lily could contract flu from the environment despite the precautions I've taken. It will take two weeks to be sure either way but I am still really kicking myself. I don't feel I can blame the rescue centre as the fosterer thought, the same as I did, that 11 days with him would have meant the cat was ok.

It was my own stupid fault for agreeing to take an unvaccinated and unneutered cat and saying I would sort all this out myself, they normally do both but due to the cat flu at the rescue centre they were only placing cats with foster homes to prevent any contact with the virus but unfortunately it didn't work this time.

Try not to worry too much. There is not an awful lot that you can do now. If the cat that has flu has a strain that Lily is vaccinated against there shouldn't be too much of a problem. If she is a healthy cat and does catch it, prompt treatment and support should see her through it. Try not to beat yourself up about it, you took this cat with very good intentions and we all make mistakes. At least you realised and took the cat back. :D