snowberry Posted March 15, 2013 Share Posted March 15, 2013 Is it just me?! I went into my local branch of a very well known high street stationers & booksellers. I asked for a copy of 'The Crucible'...by Miller, I added, when the girl who ran the department looked a little blank. It turns out that she had never heard of it. How sad is it when the staff are not trained, or have little knowledge of what they should be selling. Especially of the great classics...or books that are so popular that they are on the curriculum! I bet she knew the titles of all three 'Shades of Grey' books though Actually, I was speaking to the head of the college library down here a few years ago & she hadn't heard of Jane Eyre... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted March 15, 2013 Share Posted March 15, 2013 In my opinion with literature,there are so many different types that it would probably be hard to have a good knowledge of all of them. And if it was the booksellers/stationers I am thinking of,I reckon staff aren't employed for their literary knowledge,more for their ability to upsell chocolate at the cash desk My daughter is an English Literature student,& she recently had an interview at Waterstones, & they were greatly impressed by her knowledge,although it wasn't enough to land her the job,sadly. I myself like to think I am well informed about the things we sell where I work & in fact when something new comes out or there is a new recipe card,I go out of my way to try it out A few people come to me specifically to ask if I have made particular recipes,which is nice Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted March 19, 2013 Share Posted March 19, 2013 I think it's just us being old fashioned to actually expect somebody doing a job to have a broad knowledge of it. It's an unfortunate 'sign of the times'. When it comes to retailers, a lot of the larger companies don't care who is doing the job as long as the doors are open, money is being taken and the staff are paid as little as possible. Do I sound bitter yet? Staff such as Cinnamon, who goes out of her way to extend her knowledge should be applauded but I expect it goes by un-noticed by the powers that be. Having said all that, I've been in my trade for 17 years. Some of the rules & regulations change from time to time, and I do keep abreast of them, and have a keen interest in them, but even I learnt something new last week! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...