AJuff

Hive stand

Over the Easter holidays I'm planning on putting my hives on a double hive stand by levelling out part of the garden and laying 6 or 8 large paving slabs. This is so the hives are at the right height, I am not standing in mud during hive inspections and I have somewhere to place the roof etc whilst inspecting. So a question . . . . . I was thinking of buying a free standing hive stand as in the future when I clear more of the garden I'd like to move them a liitle nearer the sun! That rules out a hive stand hammered into the ground. Does a free standing hive stand need anchoring down? Will it move in strong winds? I am planning to strap the hives down to the frame. Any advice?

in my experience most people just have the hive stand on slabs (or on ground) and the weight of the hive keeps it down. Unless your apiary is in a very exposed position, it should be ok. My hives are still just balanced on old crates/small pallets - I keep meaning to get round to a 'proper' hive stand.

Old Speckled Hen, thank you for the advice. I hadn't thought about additional space to AS. I have the available space for a three hive stand. Any idea how to fix the stand to the slabs?

I'm the champion of overkill :lol: but then my hives are poly and the stands are in a field.

Stability is important if you are sliding heavy hives when you AS.

A simple bracket, two screws into leg and two into the slab. You don't need to fasten each leg, just two diagonally.

Our temporary ( :lol: ) hive stand is concrete block with two lengths of 4" x 4" timber across. It will take 4 hives but we have three on it with space in between for a piece of timber so that we can put hive tool etc. down. We weigh the hives down through winter with blocks of stone and - fingers crossed - they've survived through all the vile weather over the last few years.

Our temporary ( :lol: ) hive stand is concrete block with two lengths of 4" x 4" timber across

Absolutely nothing wrong with that and I probably would have used four breeze blocks if my ground had been level but it isn't so we used fence posts with pallets on the top.

I like the pallets because you can pop the inspection tray between the layers, so to speak, to shelter the OMF without actually closing it off.

8587424300_70bf13fdf2_n.jpg

8586323245_e8a17ceede_n.jpg

8587433634_b466b176f9_n.jpg