merlina

What creature makes a noise like this?

I'm still getting used to countryside night-time sounds.

The one tonight I've heard before recently, but not so loudly or so long. And the last time I heard anything like it, it was crown cranes in a safari park - so not very likely here in Leicestershire!

There were 2 creatures making what I can only describe as squeaky noises - a bit like a very old child's squeaky toy, if you can imagine it; one where the rubber is a little perished and the squeak isn't as sharp or high pitched as it was, slightly wheezy.

It was loud - one critter seemed close, the other a little further away. They sounded like they were having something of a back and forth - went on for ages! It was pitch black dark. Never heard a fox make a noise like that. I wondered whether it could be an owl? Never heard an owl make a sound like that either - it was nothing like woo woo noise.

I would suggest owls, different owls make different sounds, we have lots of owl noises near us as they live in the big oak tree on the village green. As you know we are neighbours, so might be the same owls! We hear quiet a range of noises from the Tawny and Long eared owls. Have a listen to some of these http://www.wildowl.co.uk/owlcalls.html. If it is deer there are certainly monk jack deer locally.

Tis a female tawny owl!

Thanks Chuckmum :)

I've been up since 6am (on my day off) playing animal noises on my computer trying to find out who was making such a lot of noise.

Am pretty sure there was one in the big tree in the garden and another further away

Mystery solved.

And I didn't know we had deer round here either - cool :)