paulad

How do you introduce new hens?

Hi there

Since we lost 2 of our hens we had thought we wouldn't get anymore as it has been a stressful month for us newbies. (only had them a month)

But we have decided to get 2 more I think

How on earth do you introduce them ?? And is 2 old to 2 new a good ratio ?

We don't have access to another hen house so night times they would all need to be in together

Thanks in advance

Edited by Guest

Hi there

Glad to see you didnt give up! go girl!!

I am by no means an expert but i understand you have to keep them seperate during the day but in ajacent run's then very slowely let them free range together for short, then longer periods then i think once they seem happy you merge the two flocks. If you dont have any alternative sleeping area for them then i guess you cant really do much about that but i would wait till the established group have roosted and are a little sleepy before putting the stangers in:)

Get me with the awswers!!!

Hope this helps but i am sure someone with infinatly more experience will come along soon and blow what i have said straight out the water :clap:

I have found the side by side seperate runs cause more animosity rather than anything else. I always wait until after bedtime when the established ones are well asleep, then put the new additions in with them to sleep, keep the door shut in the morning a little later than you would, then let them all out together. Touch wood have never had any problems doing it this way.

I go by the less fuss the better theory.

In my experience ..two lots of intros . Patience is the key.The first time took 5 weeks and I was panicing but there was peace in the end .The second time was a breeze ,not sure if it was luck or not as it only took two weeks .

The girl who does any bullying when you get new girls is usually the one that is bottom of the pecking order of your old girls....she does not want to be bottom any more and feels threatened ...Good luck it will be fine.