Chortle Chook

Tips for Hot Pets

I've been making iced lollies for my dogs - well I put some semi-skimmed milk in a pot (the sort you get humous in from the supermarket) and then put it in the freezer. My dogs then get a nice iced 'lolly' to lick before bed. They just love it. :D

Anyone else got some tips for how to cool pets who are too hot?

I have been giving her icecubes and cold carrots. I also wet a cotton napkin and tie it loosely around her neck to help cool her. I have seen some which contain silicon gel which hold more water, but are only available in Canada so will be making my own from the gel discs you get from garden centres for plants :D My dog doesn't do water so walks to the river are no good :( I also gave her a shower this week and left her wet and I think that helped a bit. Plus not taking her out when it's too hot, so early morning walkies and 9pm ones. I do like the sound of your milk ice lolly! I saw a similar thing recently on Facebook where people frozen water and stock with various treats and toys so the dog will spend time trying to get at them and in turn has some cold water.

Ooh yuck, I wouldn't be happy if that turned up in my G&T!

Tango has finally discovered the joys of swimming, so it's water based walks for us at the moment. She also loves playing with the hose (trying to catch the spray!) so we've been hosing her off in the garden too to keep her cool.

Other than that, it's making sure there are cool, shady spots for her to get away from the heat, no ball games on walks except very first thing in the morning and ensuring she has plenty of water available at all times. Oh and air conditioning on in the car at all times - my car is freezer fridge cold when I've got Tango with me!

We had to cut agility short the other night as the dogs were starting to get hot despite being an evening class, so it's not just walks we're having to be careful with.

I like the idea of dog lollies, I might try this with salt free stock.