gavclojak Posted August 19, 2013 Share Posted August 19, 2013 good morning Could anyone recommended a spare nest box, i have a cube and 5 ladies, all of whom want to lay at the same time. Usually its OK but of late princess layer has started making a racket if she thinks there isn't enough room for her and her ego!!! i thought the lower ranking ladies might pop in the spare one to lay?? what do you think? and would you put it in the cube or under it? any idea's gratefully received...X Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bramble Posted August 19, 2013 Share Posted August 19, 2013 Hello! My chucks are making a phenomenal din in the mornings at the moment On the basis that I wondered if they were squabbling over the nest box I've made another one temporarily - for the moment, I've used a big shoe box (trainer sized) full of bedmax, with the lid slotted on to one side to make a privacy wall The girls have definitely been in it but no one's laid in it yet (far as I know). I will need to do something a bit more permanent (assuming I can keep the chucks) but for the moment I've put it in side the cube, next to the wall of the main nestbox, and moved the roosting bars so that it sits on the poo tray, if you know what i mean. Good luck! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gavclojak Posted August 19, 2013 Author Share Posted August 19, 2013 haha that's amazing as i have responded twice to your message!!! only the noise doesn't worry me to your extent... and i live in a housing association house!!! in not at all rural Bromley!!!! thanks for the advice on the impromptu nest box, will try it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bramble Posted August 19, 2013 Share Posted August 19, 2013 Thanks! I did notice you had replied to my anguished pleas!!!!! Noise doesn't bother me personally, it's the extent to which it might bother others! Temporary nest box seems ok at the moment, I'm thinking maybe two seed trays put together in the same way (at sort of 90 degree angle, if you know what I mean, to make an "L" shape) should work? Good luck, let me know how it goes! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sjp Posted August 19, 2013 Share Posted August 19, 2013 it won't help they'll all still want to use the same nest box I've got at least 3 coops which are open to all when they are FR and they still squabble over one nest area Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gavclojak Posted August 19, 2013 Author Share Posted August 19, 2013 WHY? why would you want to share? i don't get it..... the tiff lasts about ten minutes a day...little rascals Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted August 19, 2013 Share Posted August 19, 2013 I have a pricess layer with an oversized ego and small sized egg, in the shape of a white Silkie. I found she was very happy when I supplied a 2 bottle wooden champagne box raised on 2 bricks, under the hen house with soft cut up straw in it. She didn't use if of course but the others did I only put it out when the hen house is filling up with broodies but it does keep the squabbles down. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sjp Posted August 19, 2013 Share Posted August 19, 2013 WHY? why would you want to share? i don't get it..... the tiff lasts about ten minutes a day...little rascals I think it's a throw back to the wild fowl days partly it's a place of safety but mainly it's more likely to do with out witting the dominate hen and ensuring that your part of the gene pool has a chance of survival Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...