redhotchick

Recipe suggestions for using a mini tagine dish please

It's almost that time of year again. The annual family get together at Center Parcs. :D

My OH and I volunteer to cater one of the dinners. This includes 2 vegetarians, I try to make an effort to provide something tasty and original for them. Today I bought 2 mini tagine dishes; I thought that would be an original way of presenting for a start!

So...does anyone have a recipe suggestion for a vegetarian recipe that uses a mini tagine dish please.

I'm thinking couscous or quinoa with loads of fresh chopped herbs topped with a butternut squash and chickpea stew.

I haven't got a recipe though! One of the two vegetarians prefers fat free food, and the other doesn't like spicy food. Help!

Firstly, I did not know what a "Tagine Dish" was so I googled it and found out, sounds very interesting. I googled all types of recipes for a tagine dish. I do not know how to put the sites in here but Martha Stewart has a Chickpea and Butternut Squash Stew recipe that you may be interested in. If you can't find it let me know and I will try to find it again and write it out by hand and then type it on here. Not too smart on the computer, sorry.

rather than make you look for it, here is the recipe for Martha Stewart's Chickpea and Butternut Squash Stew. I do not know how you would adapt it to a tagine dish but maybe you do. I had googled tagine chickpea and butternut squash stew and this came up.

1 med butternut squash, cut into 1 1/2 inch irregular shaped pieces (about 6 cups)

3 med carrots

2 1/2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas, drained

1/2 cups flat leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped

1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, stems

8 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced

2 med onions chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)

1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz)

freshly ground pepper

sea salt

1 tsp paprika

1 1/2 tsp ground cumin

3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

4 tsp harissa

preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place squash on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Drizzle with 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil and salt and pepper. Toss well and roast until golden brown, 45 to 50 min.

In a large skillet warm remaining 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil over med-high heat. Add onions and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in parsley stems, cumin and paprika and cook for one minute. Add carrots and 1 cup chickpea cooking liquid (or water if using canned chickpeas) to onion mixture. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until carrots are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add tomatoes and rest of chickpeas. Raise heat to medium high and simmer for ten minutes. Stir in harissa paste, chopped parsley leaves, roasted squash and remaining 1/2 cup chickpea cooking liquid (or water) Simmer uncovered until flavors meld, another 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Thanks Peachachecha, I think I will make the butternut squash and chickpea casserole, minus the Harissa, and serve it over couscous. Thanks for typing it up. I might make it this week and take it to work for lunch.

It was my pleasure. It does sound good, let us know how it is if you do make it. I may want to give a try too.

I made this last weekend. I took it to work for lunch 4 days on the run and ate it cold at my desk. I also froze two takeaway size tubs of it. I used spray oil and this recipe was 100% free food on my slimming world eating plan.

I replaced the cumin with kalonji seeds and cardamom, I used a little pimenton and omitted the Harissa. I'd make it again, I'd like to try it with fennel seeds in. I love fennel.

I'm not convinced that the chickpeas will freeze well. I'm sure it will still be edible though. Thanks again x

I made this last weekend. I took it to work for lunch 4 days on the run and ate it cold at my desk. I also froze two takeaway size tubs of it. I used spray oil and this recipe was 100% free food on my slimming world eating plan.

I replaced the cumin with kalonji seeds and cardamom, I used a little pimenton and omitted the Harissa. I'd make it again, I'd like to try it with fennel seeds in. I love fennel.

I'm not convinced that the chickpeas will freeze well. I'm sure it will still be edible though. Thanks again x

so glad you found it enjoyable. I will be giving it a try too.