Chortle Chook

Some lovely dog books

Just wanted to share some lovely dog books I've read recently. Have any of you read them? I couldn't take my nose out of them :D

* "Ordinary Dogs" by Eileen Battersby - autobiographical story that gives an insight into the problem of stray dogs in Ireland. Heartrending but wonderful

* "One Dog at a Time" by Pen Farthing - Tells you what really happens out in Afghanistan - for the soldiers, the civilians and the dogs. It is through the main dog in this that the Nowzad Dog Charity was set up

* "The Genius of Dogs" by Brian Hare and Vanessa Woods - Shows how wonderful our dogs are, so social and intellegent. Out go all the boring old theories of dominance and alpha dogs and in come wonderful theories about communications between you and your dogs

* "Jack" by Ann Hiorns-Neale. Jack is a greyhound and 'his' people live the most wonderful life on the estate of a stately home - just the life I'd like to live.

I'm dyslexic and reading is quite slow for me and yet I've been glued to this book all weekend. :shock: Somehow to me, it is more than the normal dog book. It is not anthropomorphic nor over sentimental and the observation is excellent. It has made me watch my dogs a lot more closely (especially as I'd just finished reading 'The Genius of Dogs' before I started this one). Longing to know what you think :D