Egzandra

English paper piecing

Hi, I recently downloaded a free e-book on my Kindle about quilting, which I had never really considered doing before. It had a chapter on English Paper Piecing which has really inspired me to have a go. Had never considered hand making patchwork or quilts before. Does anyone here do it? and have you got a favourite place to buy inexpensive fabrics? :)

This is the only patchwork I really know how to make, I was taught by my mum. Takes ages but it's the sort of thing you can put a few paper patterns and squares of material in a pencil case and take with you on a journey. Traditionally it's made from old clothes, and I used to love looking at the one on my mum's bed and spotting my old dresses. You just need material that's all the same weight. I have one in my UFO basket at the moment - you can buy squares of fabric on eBay, or I use left-over s"Ooops, word censored!"s from sewing. They are fun, my mother used to make random ones but you can use colours to make patterns.

I've made a miniature quilt over papers once. You're right Olly it's a good hand sewing project and you can have fun arranging the colours and fabrics.

I buy mostly fat quarters a few at time so don't notice the cost. Doughty online has reasonable prices. link just remember to hide your credit card before you look :D