Egzandra

Patchwork - hexagon cushion cover - Help!

Following on from my post about English paper piecing, I have decided to make a hexagon cushion cover as a Christmas present for my elderly auntie. I am well on the way to producing enough hexagons on their paper templates, but I am wondering how I am going to get the front and back of it to fit together without cutting some of the hexes in half, although one of the sides I think I will have to do this in order to insert the zip. Have been looking for a construction pattern on the internet without any success. Someone advised me to applique the hexes onto a backing and make the cover out of this, but I don't really want to do it like that. Any suggestions from the crafty people out there? :)

I think you'll either have to applique it to a plain backing or you'll have to fill in the gaps, because you'll never get a completely straight line with hexes, it'll always be 'stepped'. Were you planning to make the cushion itself a hexagon shape? Just do some half ones to fill it out to the right shape. Applique on a contrast colour could look very good though.

If you are worried about cutting it, you could make it larger than you need with full hexagons, then use iron on interfacing on the reverse to stabilise it all. Then you can cut into it as if it were normal fabric. Alternatively, wad, back and quilt it before cutting down, then oversew the edges before making into your cushion cover.