Dolly

Runny nose won't go away UPDATED

My 6 month old Barvevelder Grace has had a runny nose for 2 weeks or so now, she's seen the vet and is on her 2nd round of antibiotics (tylan soluble) with 2 days left to go but her nose is still runny. She doesn't have any myco type signs ie. swollen face, bubbles in eye or nose so could it 'just be a cold'? Other than this she's happy, eating and drinking.

Has anyone had a similar problem and how long should it take before I see an improvement or she's finally better?

They are such a worry when they're poorly! :roll:

Thanks

Edited 5 Dec - She's wheezing now and I've just spotted Bella with a runny nose too. I could cry. This is one more problem in a string of various illnesses over the past few months (tumours, peritonitis, heart condition, mareks in a hen I'd only had a month...). Off to the vets I go again. I love my girls but its its all getting on top of me :(

Hi sorry to hear about your troubles I would have thought tylan would have done the trick I treat all my sneezy birds with herban I had the sneezes and a couple wheezy doing the rounds so the whole lot went on herban double the strength for a month and touch wood all made a good recovery it is brilliant stuff I never bother with the vets well I couldn't the amount of birds I have I would need a bank loan :lol: you could give the herban a go you have nothing to lose leanne :)

The vet prescribed Marfloquin for 5 days to see if that helps but said obviously if its a virus then it won't have an effect. He didn't think it was myco as there were no bubbly eyes or swollen face but said I could have a lab test done to check, however it wasn't guaranteed to show this so probably not worth it. She still alert, eating and drinking so that's a plus.

My other 2 have runny noses now so they all have Avipro Plus in their water to give them a boost. Thanks for the tip about Herban Miller30, I will add it to my shopping list. If the antibiotics help Grace, I can ask the vet for some for the others.

I'm still hoping its 'just a cold' and they'll be better soon :pray:

Thanks for your support, it really helps in times like these!

Grace has had the runny nose on and off for weeks now but is also back to sneezing periodically, I've got her on Citricidal in the water at the moment so will see if that helps (am I right in thinking the dose is 2 drops per litre?). Other than this she seems perky and happy generally and doesn't appear to be 'ill', also she's still laying.

As the antibiotics didn't do much, I assume its a virus.