oneyolktoanother

Advice Needed With Wheezing

Some of you may have seen my earlier post about my hen Daisy she has been sneezing and wheezing since the middle of October and then started coughing. She has had tylan but stopped drinking it and she then had a hard crop. She has since been on baytril which stops her coughing but doesn't clear it all the way, she then had penacillian injections which did'net help so she was put back on baytril. Now the course has finished and she has started coughing again and sneezing and a bit of wheezing, spoke to the vet but he wants to keep her off the baytril as she has had quite a lot. Good thing is she has started putting weight back on and is eating she has been in the house now for 2 weeks as everytime she went out she got bad again.

Has anyone had any similar experiences and any advice on what to do next at the mo I am giving her breathe easy in her water

Unfortunately I did have a similar experience recently with my lovely bantam orp Esme but lost her in the end. She had myco, kept getting better, sour crop, more antibiotics for sneezes but eventually we found a tumour in her crop so it was time to let her go.

I don't know if all the illness was caused by the tumour or the other way round.

I really hope you have a better outcome, wasn't sure whether to post this or not as don't want to upset you, I think you are doing everything you can, I gave Esme nutridrops and made sure she had plenty of her favourite things to eat, she lived in the my office for the last two weeks and was so chirpy and friendly.

I have an orpington Bella that has been sneezy and rattly for a while now. She has had two lots of antibiotics but it hasn't made any difference. She is very thin but seems well in herself and is eating and drinking ok, all I can do is keep an eye on her. Hope your girl gets better.

I have an orpington Bella that has been sneezy and rattly for a while now. She has had two lots of antibiotics but it hasn't made any difference. She is very thin but seems well in herself and is eating and drinking ok, all I can do is keep an eye on her. Hope your girl gets better.

Hope Bella gets well soon. Spoke to the vet and he has upped her baytril to 4 and seems to be doing the trick she's still in the house but trying to get outside and also trying to jump in the Xmas tree :shock: but seems to being well fingers crossed

Unfortunately I did have a similar experience recently with my lovely bantam orp Esme but lost her in the end. She had myco, kept getting better, sour crop, more antibiotics for sneezes but eventually we found a tumour in her crop so it was time to let her go.

I don't know if all the illness was caused by the tumour or the other way round.

I really hope you have a better outcome, wasn't sure whether to post this or not as don't want to upset you, I think you are doing everything you can, I gave Esme nutridrops and made sure she had plenty of her favourite things to eat, she lived in the my office for the last two weeks and was so chirpy and friendly.

Thankyou for posting I'm so sorry you lost Esme :( sending hugs. So far with baytril upped she's doing well fingers crossed

They really do make you worry

i had a wheezing bantam that was short of breath a year ago - antibiotics only seemed to have a limited effect, what in my case turned out to sort it was changing from bark chippings to aubiose/hemcore. The bark chippings I bought from a well-known DIY store always seemed to be wet and covered in spores. Basically the bantam (Houdini (white chicken)) was getting a lungful of spores whenever she bent down to eat. By changing to hemp-based bedding, the problem went in about a week.

I'm not saying this is the cause for you but it may be worth considering if you're using bark chippings.

Good luck.